Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After comparing the 98 and 03 engines and frames I think a swap will work. No it's not a bolt in swap, there is some fab work involved.

I'm not too worried about the tab on the frame that bolts the engine to the frame on the 03's. That can easily be added to a 98 frame (with a couple quality welds).

What I'm unsure about is the rear mounting points. The lower back half of the two frames look identical. Maybe just different sized bushings and spacers?

I've seen a few complete engines (wiring, injectors, airbox, tb's etc) on ebay. The last one had less than 400 miles on it. It has stirred my curiosity for a swap.

It doesn't have to look pretty either, race only. Our club has few rules regarding mods. Displacement is the deciding factor for classes, with 650 being the limit for "600's".

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
well, why wouldnt you get a bigger engine in it instead? [?]

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Originally posted by arturo3rd
well, why wouldnt you get a bigger engine in it instead? [?]
He says he can't pit anything bigger than 650. Thats why I guess...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
how are you gonna do the ram air then? if you class limit is 650 why don't you just bore a older engine out? i suppose you could also bore the 636 out...sounds like a hell of a plan..keep us posted

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by spartan 116
if you class limit is 650 why don't you just bore a older engine out?
IIRC the 600 is only good for a 1MM overbore. Without stroking it, you wouldn't even come close. A 636 would end up being cheapr than a new crank, rods and pistons and is a much better designed engine.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
heh, good luck anyway..i got a new frame for my 96 and when we tried to put the engine back in it wouldn't fit! we had to cut 3mm off the mounting point of the engine..pfff bloody hell

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IIRC the 600 is only good for a 1MM overbore. Without stroking it, you wouldn't even come close. A 636 would end up being cheapr than a new crank, rods and pistons and is a much better designed engine.
Yep, what he said. What's IIRC?
I can only get a 98-99 up to 615ish cc's via a piston kit. I tried looking for a euro spec 2002, same outside dimensions as my current motor but with 636cc's. No luck. Plus shipping would bend me over a rail. 03 motor with all nec. acc. is the way to go. Time to go shopping.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by want2race
What's IIRC?
If I remeber correctly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I forgot to answer one other question. What do to about the central ram air?

I'm planning on using the 98 airbox, modified to fit the throttle bodies. I have no idea yet if this will work, but it will allow me to use the current ram air tubes and 98 bodywork (important for the sleeper effect). I suppose I should look into the sizes (internal) of the airboxes too. Perhaps a reprogram can adjust for the different airbox dimensions as well.

I will keep posting as this continues, but first I must complete my KX250 super moto project then sell it. It will feature an 03 636 brake caliper, 98 ZX6R master cylinder, F3/vfr front wheel and rotor, Excel 17" rear on Talon hub and revalved forks. I decided to supermoto/sell it to fund the race bike project.

Can't wait.

·
Registered
202 Posts
wantstorace,
What you thinking of doing is WAY to much work.Punch the 98 motor 2mm and get longer rods,and figure out what size base gasgit you need to make the squash right.It WILL be cheaper cheaper in the long run.You might be able to use zx7 rode(I dont know) I have been thinking of the same thing but havent done any reserch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Don't you all with it was as easy as civic / acura swap? :D hehe
Sorry man, it does sound like too much work and no idea how / if it will work right after it's all done.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If all you want is to punch the motor out to 636 cc's, just use the European engine parts for years '01 and '02. They were the old block bored over 2mm's by the factory. Parts all bolt right up. All you need are the pistons, the bores, and the gaskets. No rod swapping needed.

BC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.