Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 does the same thing. I was also wondering about it.

Anybody?

------

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
95 Posts
the engine in my 00 zx6r has a contant tapping. kinda gets on my nerves at idle. sounds like noisy valves? is this normal, or do i need to have the valves adjusted?

------

2000 lime green zx6r.....full muzzy, jetted, polished frame, flush mount signals, chrome rims

·
Registered
95 Posts
anyone got an idea? how much are you guys paying to do a valve adj.? driving me crazy[:0]

------

2000 lime green zx6r.....full muzzy, jetted, polished frame, flush mount signals, chrome rims

·
Registered
479 Posts
You'll have to help me out here... I have been on Gixxers forever and just bought the 03' 636 so I'm not sure if the previous model years have been F.I.???
If so, your ticking is probably the fuel injectors cycling. I have been an ASE Cert. tech at a GM dealership for a long time and I hear the same question from many many people regarding their cars.
If your bikes are not F.I., the most likely causes for a ticking sound are 1.)hydrolic lifters, 2.)excessive valve lash, 3.)worn cam lobes, and 4.)weak valve springs. Now, #1 and #3 are out due to the engine configuration, #4 is usually not an issue with high rpm capable engines and #2 should be checked and adjusted periodically anyway.
From a mechanics standpoint, ticking is not usually indicitave of something altogether bad... knocking, such as main bearings, connecting rods/pins etc. almost always mean bad things.

------

If your butt itches, your fingers probably stink!

·
Registered
17 Posts
i got a 98 with a 2000 egine in it, had my valves done 1000 mile ago and the engine's tapping again. was alright for about 500 miles or so

------

What!!!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
most bike guys tell me not to worry about it...Kawasaki makes noisey engines, but they tend to last forever....kinda like a tank...very nossey but indesctucable...

------

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I do not think this is valve noise we hear. If it was, we would all be in desperate need of expensive repairs. I think this is that REED plate ticking. Harmless..

------

Green/Black 01ZX6r. LP
flushmount v's, valter moto rearset adjusters, tank guard. Removed decals, 2002 rear fairing, Pyramid hugger

96 SVT Cobra Black/Tan Vert 32V. Not stock!

93 Blue Probe GT 24V Commuter car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.