Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been a little concerned with the temp of my bike after I pull it into the garage and turn it off after a ride. After I cut the engine, the temp gauge continues to go up and up, today the temp gauge read as high as 247 with the engine off. Is the engine supposed to continue to get hotter after you turn it off?

I should note that I flushed and refilled the coolant this past winter, took me hours to do and was very careful about getting all the air I could out of the system. I filled the system with typical 50/50 water/antifreeze mixture with the recommended amount of water wetter (won't use water wetter again as I haven't noticed any cooler operating temps with it).

While riding, the bike will stay under 212 degrees, and if I am not in stop-and-go traffic situations, the bike almost always stays under 200 unless the ambient temp is in the high 80s or 90s, and the fan does kick on on occasion. It's just that when I pull the bike into the garage and cut the engine, but leave the key turned on, the temp climbs. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
You stop circulating coolant when you turn off the engine. So the fluid right next to the cylinders where the temperature is measured Continues to absorb heat that is retained in the cylinders.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured it was ok but just wanted to check with people who have more knowledge than me on it. Riding temps seem completely normal when reading the different temp threads. Thanks for putting my mind at ease guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts