Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I have a '99 ZX11 with 1.3k miles. As the title states, I have a bit of a tick in the engine while it idles, not sure about under load yet as I haven't ridden it since I heard it. The oil and filter was just changed two days ago, I did drain from both plugs so 99% off the oil is fresh and clean. I've looked all through this forum about the engine ticking and most of the answers are that it's just a trait of a kawasaki engine, but my brother in law, who has been working on cars and motorcycles for the better part of 40 years, thinks it is something more serious, like a bearing. I have a video I'll link off the bike idling with a couple of blips of the throttle, and if someone could give it a listen and let me know your thoughts of just an ordinary tick or something more serious I'd appreciate it.

Also, I have a stutter when I pull the throttle 1/2 to fully open, to the point I'll lose speed if I keep it open. The carbs were cleaned and I don't have the ram air hooked up, but I did connect the carbs to the airbox, which stopped the stuttering at 60mph in 4th and above. I'm fixing to remove that pipe that connects the two carb ports and use a single hose on each to connect to the airbox to see if they'll help any, but with the aforementioned tick in kind of hesitant to ride it any.

Any advice would be amazing and very much appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So from reading other parts of the forum it was heavily suggested to check/adjust the cam chain tensioner, and after doing so the "ticking" has stopped and it sounds great now. So if you find yourself with a similar ticking coming from the engine, check the CCT.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I hope you didn't manually adjust the OEM automatic cam chain tensioner. If you did, then it's most likely too tight, and you will cause premature wear or worse.

As far as the stutter, you will want to have all of the air intake system and vacuum lines connected and working properly without any leaks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late reply. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike since I've posted this, so I'll be sure to get a manual tensioner and properly adjust that before I do. Also, yeah, I don't have the whole set up for the RAM air, am missing the hoses. I found some on eBay and am waiting on them to come in.

After these two things I'll up date here with what's up. Thanks for the reply, Strider!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so I got the air ram tubes and hooked all of that up and got the chin cam tensioner squared away, the stuttering has almost completely dissipated, enough so to make me think there may be a vacuum leak somewhere, but over all it is running like a completely different bike. Over the long weekend I'm going go through it and make sure everything is tight and secure. I do have another question though; On the air box, on the bottom front, near the ram air intake, on both sides are little ports that a line can be hooked up to, I think around 1/4'' round. Are these for the EPA regulations things that everyone always takes off? If so, since I don't have lines going in/out of there, I guess I should cap them off. Is that accurate?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts