Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem, i cant figure it out. I have a 98 6r and i bought it with 5500 miles and after a few thousand miles i noticed a vibration. Its in the engine. I had the clutch apart and the dealer looked at it and the bearing and that was ruled out. I had another tech at the dealer look at it and he thinks that the valves need to be adjusted. According to the manual they need to be adjusted at 7500 miles and it was around that time that i started to notice it. It will vibrate will driving and also while idling. If you rev it up, it is most prominent at 6k RPM's. All mounts are tight and it is definitely internal. Anyone have any help or experience this? thanks in advance

·
Registered
160 Posts
yeah... i'm having that problem also.. is that bad?
mine start doing it @5000rpm and i only have 4500 miles. an 2002.

what should i do...is this something i can fix my self or i have to bring it to the dealer?

please help.

thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are you using full synthetic oil? If not maybe you should try that. I read a couple of posts that doing so may reduce the vibration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob Lee,
I havent yet, but i forgot to mention that the tech i talked to thought it was also running lean and when i brought it in to have the valves adjusted they would sync the carbs also. Being out of sync, would that cause a highly noticeable vibration?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If the carbs are out of sync, the bike will vibrate excessively and run erratically at idle. If they have never been synced, they are overdue.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm going to replace the cam chain tensioner on my 99 to see if that fixes the noise/vibration I have at 5k. A few of me buddies think its the problem and the part is only $50.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Some '98 ZX6R's had a cam chain tensioner problem - I've heard one and it sounded like a bag of hammers at 4 -5krpm. Noise comes from high up the engine.

Kawasaki obviously found the problem becasue they quickly changed the design completly. The solution is to have the modified parts fitted. This isn't too big a job - costs circa £100 in the UK.

Happy buzzing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.