Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much time do you give your engine to warm up? I have a 05 zx6r and I always let it warm-up until it read a temp which is 104 when it starts showing a temp. and then I ride. Do any of you do this or do you just turn it on and ride? Is there any benefits to warming the engine up first?

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
My 10r is a cranky bitch under about 140. I usually give it a few minutes to work itself out.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
How much time do you give your engine to warm up? I have a 05 zx6r and I always let it warm-up until it read a temp which is 104 when it starts showing a temp. and then I ride. Do any of you do this or do you just turn it on and ride? Is there any benefits to warming the engine up first?
i'll ride out once its past 120 ;)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
My bike doesn't have a temp gauge only a light, so I wait as long as it takes for me to...

Put in 1 earplug, pull on my helmet, pull on my gloves, zip up my jacket, shift, and ride off.

Probably 90 seconds or a bit more. I live in SoCal mind you, its usually 50 or higher here.

·
Registered
364 Posts
usually i let it run about 2-3 mins before i jump on never really notice the temp i'll start looking

·
Powerhungry
38,368 Posts
My bike doesn't have a temp gauge only a light, so I wait as long as it takes for me to...

Put in 1 earplug, pull on my helmet, pull on my gloves, zip up my jacket, shift, and ride off.

Probably 90 seconds or a bit more. I live in SoCal mind you, its usually 50 or higher here.
wait, what? the 08 doesnt have a friggin temp gauge? are u serious? the previous model did. thats important info to have. why the hell would they get rid of it?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
wait, what? the 08 doesnt have a friggin temp gauge? are u serious? the previous model did. thats important info to have. why the hell would they get rid of it?
Horray for a gas gauge.

We get a light that says we're running hot, thats it.

Most people on 250s are too dumb to use their trip odometer :/

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I ride after it hits 120, nothing too hard until 140. If I really need to leave (late for class), I take it really low on the RPMs.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
I let her warm up till 140-150 range. Generally about 4-5 mins time. If it's going to be uber hot I may head out soon as it reads 140, it average, then 150 or better. Bike seems to like it so much better, engine zip is there right from the get go.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I let her warm up till 140-150 range. Generally about 4-5 mins time. If it's going to be uber hot I may head out soon as it reads 140, it average, then 150 or better. Bike seems to like it so much better, engine zip is there right from the get go.
+1 i never leave until 140 or more

·
Premium Member
7,128 Posts
I wait until the pipe melts through my pants

·
Registered
626 Posts
i start her up, put on my helmet, zip up my jacket, put on my gloves, jump on, back her out of the garage and by that time im up to 110 or so. then i go, take it easy on her until she gets good and warm, and then its ok to rip. even though i dont rip on her much anyways. i just think its best to let her warm up a little bit, then ride her slow until she reaches full temp.

it what ive always done with my car...so its habit.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Is there any benefits to warming the engine up first?
yes - letting the pistons and cylinders both warm up reduces chances of scoring. Pistons have thick and thin spots so don't expand evenly when cold.

But, this is more important on a 2 stroke as the piston gets hotter way faster than it does in a 4 stroke....so don't let me frighten you about it....plenty of people fire up and ride and have long life from their engines.

Like the others here...I get my helmet and gloves on while it idles...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts