Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it was reading low originaly? Is the rear a stock 40?

·
Registered
999 Posts
When I changed my front sprocket it didnt make my speedo that far off under 80mph or so. Also the faster you go the more it will be off, so if you wernt going that fast under 80 it may be off that much.

·
Registered
137 Posts
does the sensor detect pulses as each tooth goes by the sensor or does it sense a magnetic/non magnetic spot on the sprocket?

Where's Ash when I need her?

·
Registered
137 Posts
lol
that would be fun to explain to the C.O. [:M95]

4700rpm 15/40 61.95mph (99.12km/h)
4700rpm 14/40 57.51mph (92.51km/h)

I definatley would notice a 7kmh diference. when driving beside vehicle doing 100km/h I should be doing an indicated 107km/h or so.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alright, when I changed my front sprocket from 15 to 14 tooth I assumed that it would result in my speedo being inacurate because the sensor is crank triggered on my 00'. I had a cop friend pace me in his cruiser and the speedo is bang on. I even double checked with that hand-dandy actual speed calculator. Any theories as to why this is?

·
Registered
215 Posts
If i'm correct when you drop down one tooth in the front the speedo will always read 7% more than you are actually going. Or something close to that. So if you were paced at a slower speed, you might not have notice the differance in the reading.

By the way because my speedo is off, i have gotten out of speeding ticket by pleading guilty with an explanation. Explanation being that the speedo is off and there is nowehere in the city to fix it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doesn't the speedo pick up off a small "patch" on the sprocket. Even though the sprocket is smaller, if that "patch" is at the same distance from center as the old it would read right on.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by tomc

Doesn't the speedo pick up off a small "patch" on the sprocket. Even though the sprocket is smaller, if that "patch" is at the same distance from center as the old it would read right on.
The front sprocket speed will never change as it's connected to the output shaft. The speed of the rear wheel changes because of the different ratio affecting actual vs indicated speed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I suppose I will have to get him to sit still and radar me a few times. The more I think about it the more less sense it makes. oh well. I'll try not to think about it then it won't be a problem.

Thanks guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.