Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Next month (mid-October) I am taking the 636 on a camping/touring trip up to Deals Gap aka the Tail of the Dragon. I am going for 7-10 days and will be staying at motorcycle camp grounds which are in the Tennessee/North Carolina/Kentucky/Georgia area. I'm only taking the bike, so whatever can't fit, isn't coming :eek: Things are finally starting to come together, so here are some pre-trip pics.

Tent, sleeping pad, and duffel bag are strapped to the back onto an aluminum luggage rack that I made out of a piece of 1/8" piece of aluminum and utilizes the mounting frame from the seat cowl. Clothes and sleeping bag are going in the black duffel bag. Tools, food, and stove/camping stuff are going a pair of Cortech Sport saddle bags (which haven't arrived yet). Also have a tank bag on the way for other misc stuff.

Main objective is to reach Deals Gap and stay in that area for a few days, but I also plan on traveling to campgrounds in the surrounding states and checking out the whole south east.

Emergency tool kit, complete with mini air compressor and tire plugging kit. It all fits into a small storage bag:

At the moment, it's just me going. However, I don't plan on leaving for another ~5 weeks.. Any one else interested in a crazy trip?!

I'll keep updating the thread as more stuff comes together.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Update 9/26:

Received some more goodies in the past 2 weeks. I now have nearly everything. Still waiting on tank bag and 1-2 other small things.

New additions include Cortech Saddle bags, Techmount (thanks Javi) with bag for GPS/PDA phone, new Michelin Pilot road tire and some camping gear not pictured. Also added an extra taillight to the rear luggage rack. GPS/PDA phone is charged via cable which runs to the trunk where I have 1 USB power outlet and 2 12v cig power outlets. I'm also pondering the idea of adding a solar panel onto the top of the rear tail-bag to offset any drain from charging the PDA and laptop.

I should be leaving in exactly 2 weeks from today (a week earlier than planned.. trying to avoid cold weather). Tentative dates are October 3rd to the 12th.

·
Registered
143 Posts
your gonna have a sore ass at the end of that rip lol

Im usually pretty hurtin after 4 hours

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
That's cool! I like your plate to hold all your gear. Very smart. Rubber side down.

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
:confused: ??

I did use your 'how-to' for the vista throttle lock! Install came out good. Thanks!

I'm just messing man...I've been designing an adjustable "beer-getter" to attach to the bike exactly like you did, with the solo cowl brackets three hole locations.

Enjoy your trip man, and if you were starting out a little closer to Texas I'd have to fight myself to not go on a trip up to the Gap.

Have fun! Be safe.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm just messing man...I've been designing an adjustable "beer-getter" to attach to the bike exactly like you did, with the solo cowl brackets three hole locations.

Enjoy your trip man, and if you were starting out a little closer to Texas I'd have to fight myself to not go on a trip up to the Gap.

Have fun! Be safe.
Thanks. Meet me up there! cheers-004:

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Just a suggestion....Your plate luggage rack looks like it will work nicely, but I don't see any type of lock washers under those nuts for the tie down points. Please do yourself a HUGE favor and at least locktite them....( if you didn't already ). I'd hate to see you loose hardware in the middle of Georgia.

Sounds like an epic trip for sure. I'm jealous. Be safe.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
let me know when your on the way up. ill be goin to the dragon in october prob

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Sounds like a blast man. I rode through the Smokey mountains a few months back and it was absolutely awesome! I can't wait to go back again. I love bike trips. Your ass may get a little sore, and your legs may cramp up a bit ... but just make frequent stops and you'll do just fine.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Good for you. Please post lots of pictures when you return.

Ride safe!!

--David

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a suggestion....Your plate luggage rack looks like it will work nicely, but I don't see any type of lock washers under those nuts for the tie down points. Please do yourself a HUGE favor and at least locktite them....( if you didn't already ). I'd hate to see you loose hardware in the middle of Georgia.

Sounds like an epic trip for sure. I'm jealous. Be safe.
I used some Thread lockers on everything.

Thanks everyone, lots of pics will be taken.

Bucky- I'll keep in contact and let you know 2-3 weeks before I leave.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thread Update:

Received some more goodies in the past 2 weeks. I now have nearly everything. Still waiting on tank bag and 1-2 other small things.

New additions include Cortech Saddle bags, Techmount (thanks Javi) with bag for GPS/PDA phone, new Michelin Pilot road tire and some camping gear not pictured. Also added an extra taillight to the rear luggage rack. GPS/PDA phone is charged via cable which runs to the trunk where I have 1 USB power outlet and 2 12v cig power outlets. I'm also pondering the idea of adding a solar panel onto the top of the rear tail-bag to offset any drain from charging the PDA and laptop.

I should be leaving in exactly 2 weeks from today (a week earlier than planned.. trying to avoid cold weather). Tentative dates are October 3rd to the 12th.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have a good trip, I will be checking my calendar and may come up for a day or so. I live outside of Charlotte in a little town named Lincolnton. I'll pm you my information if you want it just in case you run into any problems.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts