Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
yo everyone,
ER6N is overheating / baking its coolant pretty quick, Its ok when your on the move (however i feel its running abit hot) but as soon as i ride slow & stop start traffic, My Engine gets sssooo hot, I have started getting my coolant heat light on, On several occasions its pissed out the overflow pipe when i stop.
Any ideas?
Going to test the thermostat on the weekend, Iv read that the radiator caps can cause this on the er6's, but there £30 a time and not 100% its that.
Also how can i test my rad fan?

cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
Don't jump to conclusions about the head gasket just yet. It's possible that it's the radiator cap, but it sounds like it's working just as it should and relieving excess pressure. That said, it's probably the cheapest and easiest fix to try.

If it only happens when the bike is not moving then it seems very likely that there is a problem with the fan or, maybe as you suggested, the thermostat. Does the fan come on at all? Can you hook it up to a separate 12v supply to test it?

If you don't have any way of testing your current coolant then it's probably worth flushing it and replacing it. When you drain the old coolant check the colour, if there seems to be any obvious contaminants or scale.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the exact same issue with my er6f. Took it in a little while back, but dealers couldn't find anything. Problem still present though, Just ordered a new radiator cap, just waiting for it to arrive, hope it sorts out the issue.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If the bike is OK when moving but starts to get hot when stopped I would suspect the cooling fan is not coming on. To test your rad cap I would go to a quick lube place and have them check it as they have a tool for that. Jump the fan switch and if the fan works then I would be looking at the switch. I think I saw a thread here with a common fan issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the exact same issue with my er6f. Took it in a little while back, but dealers couldn't find anything. Problem still present though, Just ordered a new radiator cap, just waiting for it to arrive, hope it sorts out the issue.
hope it all works out :)

iv had a fiddle, its the radiator fan not working, taken it completely of for the time being

cheers for the help guys

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got my Radiator cap today, I suspect that the old one had a slight leak. Will take her on a long ride this weekend.
My fan works well, no problem there. Had her idling on the rear stand and let her go through 2 heat cycles. Would be nice if these bikes had a temperature gauge...

·
Registered
109 Posts
hope it all works out :)

iv had a fiddle, its the radiator fan not working, taken it completely of for the time being

cheers for the help guys
Hey, did you find out what the issue is? I replaced the cap, but no difference. Taking her into the dealership today to check if I have a thermostat issue...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Turns out my thermostat is faulty. Dealer noticed my reservoir bottle was over filled, so they took 75% of the fluid out, took it for a ride and when they stopped, the bottle was filled again. Should have my bike back next week.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Got her back, fan only kicked in once in heavy traffic, bike seems cooler as well. Will test her properly on Sunday if the heavy rain forecasted clears up.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Got her back, fan only kicked in once in heavy traffic, bike seems cooler as well. Will test her properly on Sunday if the heavy rain forecasted clears up.
Good news :)

If possible try a steep uphill (second-third gear) winding road.

I only had coolant spitting once under similar road conditions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yo everyone,
ER6N is overheating / baking its coolant pretty quick, Its ok when your on the move (however i feel its running abit hot) but as soon as i ride slow & stop start traffic, My Engine gets sssooo hot, I have started getting my coolant heat light on, On several occasions its pissed out the overflow pipe when i stop.
Any ideas?
Going to test the thermostat on the weekend, Iv read that the radiator caps can cause this on the er6's, but there £30 a time and not 100% its that.
Also how can i test my rad fan?

cheers

Hi iam on my second ER6f they are great bikes but have couple little probs.
The boiling over usually happens when the bike is comming up to 3rys old and is to do with the antifreeze going off ,which should be changed on 3yr service
mine did the same ,if you just drain off all the radiator system and fill with 50/50 long life antifreeze 5yr and water it solves the problem, i found this out off another er6n owner.
i went through the thermostat, rad cap ,fan etc ,but this solved the problem.
Its because kawasaki use a small rad and er6 runs hot ,and the antifreeze has a higher boiling point than just water.when this goes off it boils up in the header tank and then out of the overflow, its a cheap fix :)

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts
make sure you tap the air bubbles out of all the hoses, this could lower your boiling point as well
You want to raise your boiling point.;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi iam on my second ER6f they are great bikes but have couple little probs.
The boiling over usually happens when the bike is comming up to 3rys old and is to do with the antifreeze going off ,which should be changed on 3yr service
mine did the same ,if you just drain off all the radiator system and fill with 50/50 long life antifreeze 5yr and water it solves the problem, i found this out off another er6n owner.
i went through the thermostat, rad cap ,fan etc ,but this solved the problem.
Its because kawasaki use a small rad and er6 runs hot ,and the antifreeze has a higher boiling point than just water.when this goes off it boils up in the header tank and then out of the overflow, its a cheap fix :)

This is also my 2nd er6f. I had my '06 for 5 years, without any issues.
I've had this one for 2 years. The issues started about 6 months ago. I doubt antifreeze goes bad in 18 months, but if it runs hot again, I'll replace the fluid just in case.

Before the mechanic replaced the thermostat, he noticed that the overflow bottle was over full, this was to be expected as it was boiling out of the overflow. he emptied the overflow to about mid way and took the bike for a ride. When he got back to the workshop, the bottle was full again.
After replacing the thermostat, he rode it around town for a longer period, no change in the bottle.

On my ride home (about 30km) my fan only kicked in once in bumper to bumper traffic, it stopped once I got going. Normally my fan would have kicked in much sooner, and stay on for much longer. :)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
This is also my 2nd er6f. I had my '06 for 5 years, without any issues.
I've had this one for 2 years. The issues started about 6 months ago. I doubt antifreeze goes bad in 18 months, but if it runs hot again, I'll replace the fluid just in case.

Before the mechanic replaced the thermostat, he noticed that the overflow bottle was over full, this was to be expected as it was boiling out of the overflow. he emptied the overflow to about mid way and took the bike for a ride. When he got back to the workshop, the bottle was full again.
After replacing the thermostat, he rode it around town for a longer period, no change in the bottle.

On my ride home (about 30km) my fan only kicked in once in bumper to bumper traffic, it stopped once I got going. Normally my fan would have kicked in much sooner, and stay on for much longer. :)
Off topic question:

In general, was the difference/improvement between '06 and later model dramatic?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Off topic question:

In general, was the difference/improvement between '06 and later model dramatic?
Not really, slightly smoother ride and no clutch slippage in the higher faster gears. I would have done the spring upgrade if I had kept my '06. It seemed a bit quicker as well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts