Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm a new rider and Kawasaki er6-n is my first bike ever.

I had my bike for about 4 months and now it's leaking coolant it seems or oil from the spots I have marked in the pictures.

I'm reaching out on this forum for anyone more experienced that might recognise the problem.

I have a 2016 er6-n abs and coolant is mid level.
I haven't really noticed any riding issues so far and oil is full and looks fine.
Leaking area

It's the same area one picture is from the side and the other one is from below.

The pictures are taken instantly after a 5min ride with my bike a short distance in the neighborhood.

I'd appreciate any tips and help on this issue and thanks for reading my post.

·
Registered
2011 Kawasaki ER-6F
380 Posts
Common problem tbh, there is a weep hole at the bottom of the water pump cover where coolant can occasionally drip out, however I'd check how tight the bolts are around the water pump. They tend to be extremely loose from the factory and nipping them up a little instantly solves the problem. Rest assured its not a big issue though unless coolant is absolutely pouring out of that hole.

·
Registered
453 Posts
From the underneath picture it looks like Oil is leaking from the water pump relief hole.
The water pump houses 2 seals, A Mechanical seal which prevents water from entering the oil and a Oil seal which prevents oil from entering the coolant system.
A leak from here gives you an early indication you need to get it repaired and both seals need to be replaced as a matter of course, Last thing you want is fluid leaking and getting deposited on your rear tyre.
On occasions if a Bike has been standing for a while the Mechanical seal will drip due to lack of use and seal up again after a short run but I suspect the leak is oil and that won't go away on it's own.
By all means give the water pump housing bolts a nip up but I suspect this won't cure your issue.
Dab a small amount on your finger and if it feels like coolant stick a tiny bit on your tongue and if it's very sweet or bitter tasting it's coolant.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Hi Kawikog, as mentioned above there is a common water pump oil leak issue with the bike. It has been thoroughly discussed and can be fixed relatively inexpensively. Please use the search function and you will find very useful information.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The coolant leak referenced in replies above is from the water pump and is indeed common, but yours appears to be from the thermostat housing. Check the bolts - if they're loose, tighten them up. If they're already snug, buy a new gasket and install it. It's a really easy job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts