Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
On the road again to Bucharest, the capital.

Quite modern and lively with a nice “old town” quarter and a stupid traffic light system (you can read a newspaper while waiting for the green light). Lots of trees and parks too, but…

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
…the main sight (you can see it from everywhere anyways) is Ceausescu’s Palace.

Ceausescu’s Palace is big. Great Pyramid big. Biggest building in the world big.

And as you can probably see ugly and oozing negative energy.

The guy ousted 36.000 people from the center of Bucharest and demolished everything in order to build his freaking mausoleum!

Absolute power (communist, royal or military) turns you into an absolute monster…

After a two hour guided tour we saw 280kg curtains, 3.5 tons carpets and rooms large enough to play football in with their own echo. And then the tour guide said, “congratulations, today you saw 0.7% of the palace!”

Oh, and you will need your passport in order to get in because one of its little rooms is housing the Romanian parliament.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The view Ceausescu never got to see…

He had an obsession with Paris and wanted a Champs Elysee view.

He even built a replica of Napoleon’s Triumphant Arc :confused:

I remember watching him and his wife getting shot. Turns out that he totally deserved it…

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
thank you for posting / sharing ... I'm showing this to my children tonight!
I am very glad you liked this thread! I tried to make it as compact and easy to read as possible because thanks to my co-traveler I have more than a thousand photos per trip to choose from :thumbup:

I wish I could convey the human contact and support when traveling by motorcycle too! In Bulgaria people spent 20 minutes with us when we asked for directions, they brought a map and gave it to us when we departed, in Belgrade a taxi driver drove in front of us and led us to the hotel for free, in Romania there were no bridge barriers for motorcyclists and in Albania people find us a hotel with closed parking the moment we stopped outside Sarande…

I could ride through the whole planet just to relive those feelings :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey thanks for sharing that experience. I usually do my rides in Sicily and Southern Italy and some of the mountain roads are a bit similar. I can imagine the feeling and breathtaking views. How many days did it take you and how many km did you do? Well done.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hey thanks for sharing that experience. I usually do my rides in Sicily and Southern Italy and some of the mountain roads are a bit similar. I can imagine the feeling and breathtaking views. How many days did it take you and how many km did you do? Well done.
You are welcome, I 've been to Southern Italy but never in Sicily. I bet it would be fantastic to ride there! We were on the road for a week and rode a 3.000+ km as usual. To be honest we were planning a thousand km and a couple of days more through the Danube Delta and the western Black Sea coast but the river was flooded and it was impossible to go there!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That looks like an amazing trips !!! And great to see a picture from my home country, Bulgaria, show up as well ! :)
Thank you, Bulgaria was the very first foreign country I visited back in 1988. If it wasn't raining I would have more photos! I always love riding through your country and especially that canyon and river passage near the border :)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts