Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My girl has a -08 ER6n that has some (to me) strange engine behaviour. When holding the throttle at constant speed the engine feels like cutting power rapidly (0,5-1sec interval). It feels as if the fuel is being cut off or something. This is the same at all rpm's. Seems the throttle position is the clue
During acceleration the engine runs great and when decceleration everthing seems ok. Idle is nice and smooth.

Spoken with two dealers and they of course have different opinions:
- Dealer #1 did full service on the mc and said that there was nothing abnormal about the bike and it's behaviour.
- Dealer #2 suggested to tune the engine (chip etc.) to avoid the "fuel save" part of the original programming that was in the dealers own words: "Shitty on early fuel injected motorcycles".

Anyone have any suggestion?

Thanx in advance :)
Kristian

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with the intermittent surging randomly happening. After that one of the cylinders wasn't firing.

Cleaning the fuel injectors fixed the problem for about 100 miles but now the problem is back. Let me know if you found the solution. 2008 ninja 650 9k miles

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
A friend of mine had the same problem with his Er-6f, you should consider replacing the sparkplugs with new ones as specified by the manual.

He thought that iridium spark plugs last forever, as many people do, but apparently he was wrong!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I posted on rider forums but didn't update here. Already did plugs but truthfully if your plugs go under 25k miles you likely have another issue causing that. The same plugs go into cars and last 200k consistently. Below is what I posted on the other forum regarding the surging:

"Turns out the fuel tank is rusted pretty badly. The fuel pump contraption was packed with gunk. That would explain the fuel injectors getting clogged again so quickly. Bought a new fuel strainer. Going to clean the rust with the works, then coat whatever I can in Rust oleom and spray some vertical WD40 and shake it around a bit. Then I will clean the Fuel injectors again and the bike should be good to go.

I ride every day it doesn't rain so the tank won't rust the way it did when the bike was used 900 miles per year. If that isn't the solution I will update."

So far I have cleaned the fuel tank but I'm waiting on the fuel strainer. I'll update if cleaning the injectors solves the cylinder misfire again and then if the bike works for awhile that will confirm that the completely rusted tank was the cause of the injectors clogging leading to the left cylinder not firing.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Already did plugs but truthfully if your plugs go under 25k miles you likely have another issue causing that.
Spark plugs are to be replaced every 12.000 kms or 7.500 miles according to the manual and there is good reason for that. Enjoying an engine in optimal condition is the whole point behind regularly servicing vehicles and the same goes for most replaceables :)

Keep us posted, I hope that you will find a solution asap!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts