Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So apparently the issue with my bike is that the carb is gummed up. I need to drain the gas and clear the thing out.

What surprises me is how fast this happens. I was told that it sets in within two weeks. Seriously? And I understand it's the ethanol that's the problem. With ethanol rising from 10% to 15% this problem is only going to worsen.

Thoughts/stories/solutions?

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Do you leave your bike sit in the rain uncovered and the like? It's funny I use fuel with ethanol in it on my 250 and have let it sit for a month at at time (on a battery tender) without any problems. Then people leave their bikes out in the rain and with half a tank of fuel and then run to blame the ethanol. I in fact use 89 octane in mine because in Iowa 89 octane is CHEAPER than 87 octane because it has MORE ethanol in it.

If you are going to leave your bike sit for any period of time fill the tank as full as you can (to minimize surface area for air to flow over) and keep it out of the rain. Hell after Winter my 250 fired right up on 3 month old gas (with only Stabil in it) and I rode it on that gas.

·
Ninja Bike Forum Mod
22,254 Posts
A) Stabil or another fuel stabilizer if you know it's going to sit.

B) Start it more often and allow it to achieve normal operating temps before shutting it down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. Nope my bike is brand new, garage-kept and having issues just from the time between when I brought it home and when I got my permit and could therefore finally ride it. This time frame was about two months. I heard the 1-2 week statement from someone, not on here nor from the dealer. Hoping it's an overstatement.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Well for future reference if you ARE going to leave it sit for any period of time, like I said fill the gas tank super full and keep it in the garage (like you already do).

·
Registered
174 Posts
It is true that in a little as two weeks ethanol may start attracting water. The higher the humidity the larger the problem. Key is to run the bike frequently and not let it sit too long. I run my 3 bikes at least once a week and use Stabil if I'm not riding one of the bikes very often. I live in Florida with high humidity and stay ahead of the problem. BTW garden power tools need the same attention. Ethanol is a a scam that has helped farmers but is like a tax on everybody else. A gallon of gas with 10-15% ethanol will get less mileage than a gallon of pure gas. If you have a bike or power tool that has sat too long with ethanol and won't run smoothly or start, I recommend Sea Foam to get it going but Stabil as a preventative.
Bill

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
It is true that in a little as two weeks ethanol may start attracting water. The higher the humidity the larger the problem. Key is to run the bike frequently and not let it sit too long. I run my 3 bikes at least once a week and use Stabil if I'm not riding one of the bikes very often. I live in Florida with high humidity and stay ahead of the problem. BTW garden power tools need the same attention. Ethanol is a a scam that has helped farmers but is like a tax on everybody else. A gallon of gas with 10-15% ethanol will get less mileage than a gallon of pure gas. If you have a bike or power tool that has sat too long with ethanol and won't run smoothly or start, I recommend Sea Foam to get it going but Stabil as a preventative.
Bill
+100000000 on the ethanol being a scam , it makes less power it gives you worse gas mileage and it evaporates ..

on top of all that it's subsidized so we are paying for it twice and it doesnt lower the price of gas...

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
As well as keeping the tank full, turn off the fuel and run the engine until it stalls out. This will use all the fuel in the carbs and prevent any possibility of them getting gummed up.

Don't run it periodically during Winter. That leaves your engine internals sitting in a bath of oil contaminated by acids. If you can do a 10 mile ride once a week that's fine, but otherwise, give it an oil and filter change then don't start it it until you're ready to ride again. Battery is best disconnected and given a 4- 6 hour trickle charge once a month.

Full tank and dried out carbs will look after the fuel system over Winter.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts