Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had that weird smell also, But it happened to me after I let it idol for too long. It sat idoling for about 15 mins. The smell actually lasted for about 3 days. I was so glad when it was gone:D
But yes, bikes now do come with a cat. Our 03's have it inside the pipe. Also, have you used any leaded fuel? cause that will interact with the cats. chemical reaction.
But usually when cats go bad they smell like rotten eggs, so I dont think it would be your cat. I thought a lot about what that smell could be, and what I came up with was that is was the packing inside the can that burned a bit because of the heat. Also after that my pipe got a little louder, so I am almost posative that my guess is right.
Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Come to think of it, I did let it sit at idle for a while. In fact the helmet on my foot peg got a little too warm too[8D] I thought I was going crazy. My bike is a 99, so I'm not sure if its of the gen with cats or not. The only fuel I use is like sunoco 94 or 92/93 at stewarts. Sometimes BJ's. But I've only run 87 once in it and got significantly less gas mileage. But no lead. Thanks for easing my mind on this one.

Go Green, but let the others have the envy

·
Registered
321 Posts
This might sound so far fetched, but after I pass a couple cars, maybe 4th gear around 10K or so, once I get it back in 6th to cruise, I smell like a peanut butter smell. No lie. I hate peanut butter so no it isnt me that smells like it, and normally when burning coolant it'll smell sweet, but peanuts? Come on. Maybe I'm just being paranoid and its coming from the hick truck ahead of me. Possibly the exhaust? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the stock system include some kind of catalytic converter?

Go Green, but let the others have the envy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.