Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past few months I have seen quite a few posts on these forums as well as others describing accidents that our fellow riders have encountered. I can't recall one time where the peep riding the bike said it was their fault. It’s always the cagers fault. They are always fucken idiots and all sorts of other not so nice adjectives.

Why is this? I can’t believe that all the accidents are caused by cagers. I would be willing to say that most are caused by the cocky/ arrogant bike riders. I have been riding for a few years and I have encountered more riders than not that were cocky and basically risky to say the least.

Two weeks ago I was riding with some people from a near by city in the central valley of California. They were all cocky people when we were chilling at starbucks but as soon as the helmets were strapped and the RPM's were over 6K these people turned into assholes with little or no regard for others on the roads around them. As we rode down the highway they were aggressive with their lane changing, cocky to other cages that were going to slow for them, (The cages were doing the speed limit)and just down right fools when it came to rules of the road. I don’t understand this mentality, I mean why do most people of crotch rockets have to be assholes? Do they need to prove something to someone or is it just to show off and prove what a jerk they are?

I don’t understand this at all. I do understand that we all have the sport bikes because there is a thrill and an adrenaline rush to get from riding our bikes, I just don’t understand why some have to be assholes.

*rant is over*

G

·
thats a group that i would never acknowledge if i got next to them

these machines are stupid fast and intimidating to a lot of non riders. some people think just b/c they have the skill and knowledge to control one, that they are something special and like to show off on the street. at least thats how i see it.

i admit that i dont really like to go out looking for people to ride with, partly b/c of what was said about a lot of them being cocky which is something i cant stand.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Then there's the ones like myself that manage to hit inanimate objects, like guardrails.[}:)]

Worst part is I can't get TOO mad cause the dam thing actually SAVED my ass. Otherwise I would have gone off into a dam ravine!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ginger,

Yeah i feel ya, there is like a group of us about 5-7 riders that usually ride when everybody sleeps. We roll in zig zag pattern just in case one of us has to brake, tap our helmets means cops ahead so the riders behind will know, multiple brake if we see roadkill or debris up ahead, signal etc. I hate riding with unsafe riders. We have a lot down here and I try to avoid riding with them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by GingerNinja
Over the past few months I have seen quite a few posts on these forums as well as others describing accidents that our fellow riders have encountered. I can't recall one time where the peep riding the bike said it was their fault. It’s always the cagers fault. They are always fucken idiots and all sorts of other not so nice adjectives.

Why is this?
Because most people are spineless twats with no sense of personal responsibility. Even if the crash sequence was initiated by a cager violating someones right of way, the descriptions I read are mostly "I had to lay it down" which I translate to: my emergency braking skills suck. People panic, lock one or both of the wheels up and crash before ever hitting (or even making it to) the thing they are trying to avoid.

So practice emergency braking in an empty parking lot or deserted road. Good situational awareness means you're way less likely to be surprised by a bonehead cager move and won't even need to emergency brake. Those two skills will minimize your chances of surfing asphalt.

Cars have a hard time seeing bikes (drivers not paying sufficient attention or distracted by cell phones, etc) isn't helped any if the bike is going well over the speed limit. They pull out thinking they have sufficient time/space and the bike on them before they know it.

Be careful out there folks, especially when riding around cities or suburbia.

·
Registered
287 Posts
These machines are relatively inexpensive which makes them accessible to the "hotheads". Most people that go down because of their own fault won't rant about it.....

As riders I think it's our responsibility to tell an other rider he's being an ass if he's driving like an idiot since ultimately his riding will affect all other riders (i.e. insurance costs, bad reputation, etc). Also, I think the responsible riders should refuse to ride with the irresponsible ones thus sending them the message that their behavior is unacceptable....

I'm not saying we should drive like grannies but rather that there are places and times to ride fast. Lastly, no matter how we drive we should always certain that our driving does not endanger our and other people's lives...

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,975 Posts
Originally posted by garry

Because most people are spineless twats with no sense of personal responsibility. Even if the crash sequence was initiated by a cager violating someones right of way, the descriptions I read are mostly "I had to lay it down" which I translate to: my emergency braking skills suck. People panic, lock one or both of the wheels up and crash before ever hitting (or even making it to) the thing they are trying to avoid.

So practice emergency braking in an empty parking lot or deserted road. Good situational awareness means you're way less likely to be surprised by a bonehead cager move and won't even need to emergency brake. Those two skills will minimize your chances of surfing asphalt.
Right on, Garry. When an "emergency" situation arises, your reactions have to be instinctive as there is usually only a split second to react. Making the right move has to be second nature and this is NOT developed over night. Many may laugh but years of mountain biking... where proper braking, steering, body positioning, and yes, crashing technique are required... have helped me tremendously. Also, I read lots of posts where the crasher says, "the car did this (fill in the blank) right in front of me..." I always assume the car will do something...like turn in front of me or pull out or whatever. Often they just look right thru you and don't see you.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by prs<br>

Right on, Garry. When an "emergency" situation arises, your reactions have to be instinctive as there is usually only a split second to react. Making the right move has to be second nature and this is NOT developed over night. Many may laugh but years of mountain biking... where proper braking, steering, body positioning, and yes, crashing technique are required... have helped me tremendously. Also, I read lots of posts where the crasher says, "the car did this (fill in the blank) right in front of me..." I always assume the car will do something...like turn in front of me or pull out or whatever. Often they just look right thru you and don't see you.
Exactly!

They also fail to mention that when the car did (fill in the blank) right in front of me they were going how much faster that the rest of the traffic and or speed limit!

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I think a lot of people who get in accidents that are their fault wouldn't post here or brag about it. Nobody likes getting flamed. I agree though, that too many arrogent douschbags that dont know how to ride have bikes. I also ride by myself or with just one person for this same reason. The guys that ride like assholes in traffic and stuff are usually the same guys who you're waiting at the stop sign for them to catch up when riding some twisties. They are also the ones that wind up going down in the twisties too.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
the only time ive wrecked i out rode myself going to hot into a corner, i over braked and high sided. it was my fault because i misread the corner. there now im one that admits i wrecked because i made the mistake.

as for the people that think they're hot shit cause they're on a bike, my grand mother tought my dad to ride a wheelie, my grandma was just as hardcore as you!

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Several of us admit when we're at fault. I went down recently and have no one to blame but me. Does that mean I'm a cocky, arrogant and irresponsible rider because I went down? No, just pushed a bit too hard and the road pushed back.

Shit happens people.

There seem to be too many guys on here that think they're god's gift to motorcycles because they've never gone down (or at least wouldn't admit it if they had). To those of you who think you're experts, remember you're not invincible. You can brag about how skilled and responsible you are all day long, but all it takes is one momentary lapse of judgement for things to go bad really quickly. I know very few people who have been riding for a decent amount of time that haven't made a few mistakes. But I guess this forum is just the exception to the rule.

So since you guys piss excellence the rest of us will just bow to your greatness.

Rant over.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Not really directed to anyone here in particular. Just seems to be a lot of that "i'm better than you attitude" around lately. Anytime someone goes down certain people want to come out and lecture about how they would've done this...blah, blah. 99.9 percent of the time the guy that went down knows exactly what he "should've" done and really doesn't need the advice from the so-called experts. Not saying that was going on here, I just felt like ranting.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I'm with Tweakmon - hitting guardrails for the win! :D

This is an argument that has been going on probably forever (I've only been here since May and seen it many times) and I think I'm with Aceman. There's a time and place for everything. I refuse to believe that there is a single rider out there who hasn't done double the speed limit. Or lane split.

But just remember the time and place. Rush-hour traffic on a 35mph road is NOT the time or the place to ride like a bat outta hell. If you wanna speed and/or stunt in public places (e.g. non-highway)...you're asking for trouble. I love going as fast as humanly possible but only when there are good conditions - little/no traffic, a downward sloping road so you can see for miles ahead of you, no crazy potholes, no where for cars to turn off/on the road, etc.

I will never understand guys who do triple digits on a road where cars can turn left in front of them. You are asking for death....you are seriously praying to God that He should smite you.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I went down twice. Both times were at leas partially my fault due to arrogance and impatience.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree totally. and i'm glad others do too. i see alot of accident posts where someone has t-boned a car because it "pulled out in front of them", but then you see the bike and it's totally a squished tin can - probably becuase the biker was doing 100mph and one second the car looked and no bike, and in a second they pull out viola bike... i'm sorry, but pretty much any accident a biker gets into is his own fault. you can never let your guard down, you are 100% invisible. i realize this will piss alot of people off who will say "i was just sitting at a red light, and got hit from behind" - there's always some way that can be avoided, and it's best to ride with that mentality.. well atleast in my own opinion..

i went down a year ago, was touring the west coast and got caught in freak gail storm, blew me off road, totaled bike, seperated shoulder. even though technically i got blown off the road, it was still my fault. should have tried to stop earlier when weather set on, should have been better trained to deal with the forces of mother nature, etc...

anyway, just thought about this alot....

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
"i was just sitting at a red light, and got hit from behind"

Hence why Im always in gear at a light and watching my mirrors. Been tapped from behind and id rather run the red (safely) than get rear ended by Britteny on her cell phone while eating.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Originally posted by doose
Several of us admit when we're at fault. I went down recently and have no one to blame but me. Does that mean I'm a cocky, arrogant and irresponsible rider because I went down? No, just pushed a bit too hard and the road pushed back.

Shit happens people.

There seem to be too many guys on here that think they're god's gift to motorcycles because they've never gone down (or at least wouldn't admit it if they had). To those of you who think you're experts, remember you're not invincible. You can brag about how skilled and responsible you are all day long, but all it takes is one momentary lapse of judgement for things to go bad really quickly. I know very few people who have been riding for a decent amount of time that haven't made a few mistakes. But I guess this forum is just the exception to the rule.

So since you guys piss excellence the rest of us will just bow to your greatness.

Rant over.
they arent saying that crashing makes you a bad rider. what they are saying is that alot of people seem to blame their own stupidity on cagers. not that cagers are never at fault, but you should leave enough cushin to compensate fot their mistakes. nobody said that they were gods gift to motorcycles, and nobody said tha they never make mistakes. if you would have read some of the posts you would have realised that a few riders admited to going down and it being their fault. we arent talking about them, we are talking about people who cant take responsibility for their actions. and cocky assholes who think they have to show off to everybody who looks at them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by FightingFalcon
I'm with Tweakmon - hitting guardrails for the win! :D

This is an argument that has been going on probably forever (I've only been here since May and seen it many times) and I think I'm with Aceman. There's a time and place for everything. I refuse to believe that there is a single rider out there who hasn't done double the speed limit. Or lane split.

But just remember the time and place. Rush-hour traffic on a 35mph road is NOT the time or the place to ride like a bat outta hell. If you wanna speed and/or stunt in public places (e.g. non-highway)...you're asking for trouble. I love going as fast as humanly possible but only when there are good conditions - little/no traffic, a downward sloping road so you can see for miles ahead of you, no crazy potholes, no where for cars to turn off/on the road, etc.

I will never understand guys who do triple digits on a road where cars can turn left in front of them. You are asking for death....you are seriously praying to God that He should smite you.
Right on...!!!!!

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Originally posted by garry

Cars have a hard time seeing bikes (drivers not paying sufficient attention or distracted by cell phones, etc) isn't helped any if the bike is going well over the speed limit. They pull out thinking they have sufficient time/space and the bike on them before they know it.

Be careful out there folks, especially when riding around cities or suburbia.

[:++1]

as for sitting at red lights, i dont know if i agree or disagree. my neighbor was sitting at a lite and got hit. it messed him up pretty good. he rides again now though. he tought me to alwase look behind you when at a lite and keep it in gear. with out him teaching me that i probely would have never thought of it or known.

as far as riding fast, and speeding. i like to ride a little fast, im not going to lie, but i try and do it in as much ofa controlled situation as i can. i dont outride my breaks, headlights, ect. and for the people who say well if a car pulls out in front of you, i am alwase looking for a way out. somthing i picked up from flying helicopters and the ARMY. there is a saying when flying a helicopter.

if somthing bad hasent happended yet, its about to.
learn it
live it
like it (mabe).

i think that applies here as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.