Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i'm about to catch criticism for even mentioning the forbidden engine swap
But i'm doing it. And there's nothing you can do to stop me. So, for any of you that want to follow along, I will do my best to keep updated and document as much as I can in the build.

The people and companies that have done this swap in the past have never really documented it well, and my goal is to do exactly that. I know it's "pointless", but it's a winter project.

Here is a link to the first video, if you want to follow my progress subscribe and keep an eye open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEw...ature=youtu.be

Please bear in mind the series is designed for a more casual viewer, but there has been a LOT of planning and technical work gone into this already and I will be more than happy to answer those questions and get extra pictures, etc, for any that are interested in the more intricate details.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Blasphemy! Sacrilege!

Just kidding, looks like an interesting project especially for someone completely inept when it comes to spanners and tools.

You may hear from a certain bpe though :LOL:

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! That's already more positive response than I expected lol. It has been done, there's about 3 that i've found, one by a company who looked into making kits for it, but decided it was a bit too complicated. The biggest negative reaction I think will be that i'm planning to show it's possible to use pod filters on the 500 and still get okay performance. People really seem to hate that.
Thanks for the support

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol do you have nothing better to do? I really have no interest in getting extra views, i've got basically none, and an extra 50 from here isn't going to make any difference. I'm documenting this for the people who want to do this swap in the future, and don't have any good resources to help them, and to bounce ideas around and talk with other people who know their stuff on these bikes and this swap in specific. I spend a lot of my time helping people modify and race bikes, and if I can put out some good quality resources to help more people beyond the reach of my local motorcycle community, i'm happy to. Would a picture and word walkthrough make you happier so it doesn't appear i'm "hunting for views"? get a life.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like your reed valves were already missing. Not that you need them of coarse, just an observation.
I noticed that. Kind of struck me as odd. The bike only has 7000km and seems relatively untouched. Not to mention to my understanding the removal of the valves themselves wouldn't achieve anything positive. Who knows though, bike is 15 years old, could be any kind of person working on it over that time. I'm still not 100% sure how the air switch valve works in correlation to the reed valves though, any explanation why it has both or what the air switch valve does? I've worked with reeds before and I get the idea that they close up at higher RPM to stop exhaust gases from traveling back to the airbox, but what's up with the air switching valve in line behind that? Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm no expert on the PAIR system. If I had to guess, by looking at the reed valves they appear to just not let air flow the wrong direction when the Pair valve is closed.

I know the PAIR valve is vacuum activated and will close when the vacuum reaches 57-65 kPa.

So I would think it is probably not good to remove the reed valves without doing a complete PAIR valve delete.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm pretty familiar with reeds, not sure how they work together exactly though. I'll bring them into school sometime soon and ask about it. Maybe we'll cut it open. If the AIR switch has a diaphragm and spring in it, in theory it should operate the exact same as the reeds, so not sure why they would even have both. I'm not sure what the internals on that valve look like yet though.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The Pair valve and the reed valves don't work the same way. The way I understand it, if I can give it an electrical analogy:
The Pair valve would be a switch, and the reed valves would act as diodes.

Since the Pair valve is vacuum activated I would assume it would have to have a diaphragm in it.

I'll bring them into school sometime soon and ask about it.
Are you in an MC technician class ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The analogy makes a lot of sense. I'm still not sure why said "switch" would be needed though when you have "diodes". In a complicated circuit absolutely. But the pair system seems like a basic concept, pull air under exhaust vacuum, seal up under exhaust pressure so it doesn't get exhaust in the intake. the switch wouldn't have an effect with the reeds closed. So it would only really be able to toggle the "circuit" with them open. Since the reeds can only be open under exhaust vacuum, I can't think of any circumstance you'd need to turn that off. And that's assuming the "switch" is something that can be toggled at any time. assuming more realistically that the switch is a diaphragm and spring, the only way it would operate would be under the same exhaust vacuum that opens the reeds. If that makes any sense? I don't know, just my thoughts. Maybe i'm missing some more intricate idea behind the whole system.

I'm working on my level 3 certification for automotive. But I run a business of sorts doing mostly motorcycle work. I've done/do a bit of everything though from engineering to small engines, electrical, etc. Kind of a jack of all trades master of none approach to the powersports industry. I can do a good bit of everything but I've got great people in every field that will jump in on a project or that I can outsource parts of jobs to.

Automotive is kind of where I was lacking honestly, and up here there's very little for work on motorcycles or custom stuff. It's all just commuter vehicles since it's mostly winter. So figured my red seal in automotive would be a good thing to fall back on. Just so happens that our program director is a powersports guy with a few world records under his belt. he's had a good bit of knowledge for me on some of this stuff so fair, so i'll see if he can shine any light on the confusion going on with this PAIR system.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The Pair valve is activated by Venturi vacuum, not exhaust vacuum. It closes once the vacuum reaches a certain level. The only thing that operates the reed valves (to open) is air coming from the Pair valve, not vacuum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts