Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about exhausts for the 636, air/fuel mix going lean from changing it. It got me a little concerned about the exhaust that's on it and with the idea I had about possibly changing it. I've got a Scorpion slip-on and I'm thinking about building a GP style, kinda like the new R6. I know that seems to be the new thing, but the idea I have is a little different than the others I've seen.

I'm having a hard time seeing how changing the exhaust can really affect it as much as they are saying. It's all about the air and fuel going in. Not going out. Ya, a free-er flowing exhaust will make more power 'cause the exhaust stroke works less to push the exhaust out. As the other pistons go down drawing in air, does it really make them draw in more if the pistons on exhaust are working less?
Everyone is saying you don't need a Power Commander, but you should get one it will make the bike run better. They say it will smooth everything out and make more power. But don't you have to lean it out to make more power? So, isn't that what the PC is doing?

Am I just confusing myself or what? The more I think about it, the more I don't get it.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
A free-er flowing exhaust scavenges the combustion chamber faster creating a lean condition. Having a better flowing exhaust doesnt necesarily mean more power, as some engines actually produce more power with some back pressure in the system. This is the reason we have an exhaust valve from the factory.

To get optimal power from a higher flowing exhaust you must usually richen the mixture to coincide with the extra flow, and we all know that HP = getting the mixture in, burning it, and getting it out ASAP.

Now, technically speaking a slip-on will not necessitate getting a PC3, however, it will be necessary for ironing out any flat spots or surges you may start to feel, and to tune it to its' max.

For the most part, adding an aftermarket can will make your bike sound different, but do not expect any real earth shattering performance increases.

On the flip side, getting a dyno map done will return some hidden horses, but of course you need the PC3 for that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.