Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just tried this exhaust header cleaning spray and I thing it deserves a thread of its own:

https://www.louis.eu/artikel/optiglanz-cleaner-for/10004155?list=23283213

My headers were in very bad condition with fried burned weeds stuck on them and I really didn't expect good results.

Indeed, when I sprayed this stuff on and rinsed it off three minutes later, almost nothing happened :mad:

But when I used a large scotch pad with it, the results were dramatic!

No one could believe that the pipes weren't brand new :D

Unfortunately I didn't take any before / after pictures but they would look like infomercial pics anyway.

So I totally recommend this product if you want brand new exhaust pipes in less then 10 minutes. Just remember to cover the plastic under tray with a large plastic bag and use rubber gloves :cool:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I cleaned the headers again after many months and I think I owe this thread a before and after pic :D

That's a full winter's muck off in a few minutes:

And the final result:

Also summer is HERE at last :crazyloco:

The sea is still a bit cold, but cheers to you all!

:cheers-004::cheers-004:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I recently tried a new "recipe", the black Harpic toilet bowl cleaner:

This is the amazing result:

It works better because it sticks on the pipes and it is way cheaper and easier to buy than Optiglanz!
If you use it in combination with Glanol Ultra Soft metal polish, the results are amazing and last longer too:

So here is the procedure for quick and easy cleaning and polishing :)

Clean the pipes with some water to remove excess dirt or mud and dry them with kitchen paper.

Apply a very small amount of Harpic on the pipes with an old toothbrush, if it streaks or runs you've used too much, and let it attack the rust for five minutes.

Scrub the pipes clean with a scotch pad using both sides of the pad, the gel is clear so you can roughly see where the dirt and rust is. Wash the gel off thoroughly with a spray bottle or hose and dry the pipes again with kitchen paper.

Apply the metal polish cream with a rug and work it immediately on the surface with circular motions. Let it dry for about a minute and buff it out with another long, clean rug by wraping it aroung the pipe and pulling it from both ends.

That's it! Be sure to wear gloves when applying the products and if your exhaust is not as dirty as mine in the first pic maybe the cream is enough to clean and polish it. When I used the cream after the gel I got a very light layer of dirt on the rug, looking like soot, and it was very easy to apply and remove on the clean surface (y)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mate the pipes look awesone but previous shot with the beer, summer on the Mediterranean/Adriatic .... You dont need someone to look after your summer house do you ? :D
Thanks man, but I am on it :D

Lucky for me I was cunning enough to sense the upcoming lockdown and I spent almost half of that period by the sea and enjoyed spring to the fullest :cool:

Now it's getting really hot and I will be able to hit the beach hopefully next week, when the last restrictions are lifted.

Can't wait to ride free again!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have anything in mind to keep them clean afterwards?
I've been using the Optiglanz stuff for a couple of years, two times annually and maybe after a long trip. It worked amazingly well but the end result was a very clean but matte surface. My bike is naked and the headers completely exposed so the coarser surface accelerated the accumulation of dirt. To be honest, with the first method, you need to clean the pipes at least four times per year if you ride in all weather conditions (I didn't care enough to do that :sneaky: ).

The metal polish cream removes the last tiny traces of dirt and rust while sealing the surface under a shiny protective layer, it feels like waxing your car, while eliminating microscratching at the same time, so it really worths the effort and it will deifinitely keep the headers clean for longer. Mine are still spotless after a week or so, I will post updates in time.

I would also recommend using the cream only on already clean pipes too, it's very hard to clean them only with the cream when even moderately dirty and the sealing effect can trap dirt and make it even more difficult to remove if you don't do a good enough job in the first place.

So it's basically like cleaning/washing vs washing and waxing with the metal polish cream, nothing stays clean for ever but you will definitely get better and longer lasting results with the combo method.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does this cream has wax in it? Does it smell when the pipes get hot?
I think so. The company sells carnauba wax polishing cream as a stand out product but the ultra soft is sold as cleaning compound. It definitely has some kind of sealing - polishing factor though.

As for the smell, no, it does not smell at all and the surface remains pristine whether hot or cold. The pipes still look like new by the way, but I haven't ridden in the rain yet.

I am definitely sold, using this cream after cleaning is the way to go for amazing, long lasting results :)

P.S. I also used it on my worn and scratchy city helmet visor on both sides and it is brand new again! This compound is indeed ultra soft, crystal clear visor and no visible scratches whatsoever (y)

·
Registered
51 Posts
My go to is Autosol Marine shine. Polish for boats. makes brass , copper, chrome, steel, stainless etc like new but with a protective coating. Also excellent for polishing grp plastics. I use it on plastic watch glasses, visors and bike screens..

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My go to is Autosol Marine shine. Polish for boats. makes brass , copper, chrome, steel, stainless etc like new but with a protective coating. Also excellent for polishing grp plastics. I use it on plastic watch glasses, visors and bike screens..
I was between Autosol original and Glanol original and I bought the Glanol Ultra Soft because it sounded less abbrasive :D

I am sure that the Marine Shine and other varieties and brands will also do a great job.

If the pipes are really dirty - rusty though, that Harpic cleaner + scotch pad is the easiest and fastest solution. I was planning to clean one pipe using only the cream and the other with the Harpic gel for comparison but it was way to hard getting the heavy dirt off with the cream alone. On already clean pipes it was a breeze though!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts