Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to possibly put on a slip on over winter and was wondering what everyones insight on this is.

I was looking at Akrapovic because I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Also, would I need to do anything to my bike (engine tune or anything) for just a slip on? I don't want to [email protected] anything up. As far as I know, you don't but some more experience people's opinions would be great.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
207 Posts
hey, sry i can't answer your question, but I was wondering where u live in Pittsburgh. I live around 40 minutes from Pittsburgh close to Murrysville. I've been out to Mt.Washington a couple times and saw a lot of bikes but i was the only 636.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Try doing a search on the subject, there's VOLUMES of discussion of exhaust. As for mandatory remapping, most manufacturers will state that their slip on systems will not REQUIRE it. However, that's not to say there won't be gains to be had from doing so. A PCIIIusb can even produce SOME improvement in the overall map on a STOCK bike. Just not enough of an improvement to say the cost of the PCIII is worthwhile. I've seen maps for slip-ons that are markedly changed from the stock one, which means that while the bike won't be in dire NEED of remapping, in order to maximize the potential of the bike with the exhaust added, a PCIII can make a difference. If you consider that slight gain worthy of the price of a PCIII, then hey, go nuts. Most riders won't though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silver, I actually live about 20 min north of pittsburgh (near cranberry/wexford not sure why I put pitt in my profile) but me and my buddy on his triumph are always riding in the city, haven't seen any 636's yet though.[V]

As far as the remapping goes, i'm not really getting the slip-on for a performance increase, its more for cosmetics and maybe alittle sound enhancement. But by not remapping the stock configurations of the bike is not going to hurt it right?

Thanks, for the respones

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
No, it most likely will run just fine. Again, most manufacturers state their slip ons will not REQUIRE a remap of the stock EFI system, and most slip on owners ride without remapping or rejetting. You'll likely be close to 90% optimized even with the stock map.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.