Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad or harmful to put an exhaust on a new bike? just bought a two bro pipe for a new zx6r, and have conflicting answers. some dealers say no problem. are they just trying to make sell [?]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm hearing from some riders to wait till the bike is broken in. i was just wondering why? i've seen some dealers selling new bikes with exhaust

·
Registered
562 Posts
I say break the bike in with the OE or after market but as long as you break it in from the beginning with the same exhaust. That is what I was told by a friend that works at an after market shop. I put a Micron on mine when I had 2 miles on it and broke it in with it. You should be alright just put it on before you get over around 100 miles. You want the bike to breath the same way, not to change in the middle of brake in.

--ANthony

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Originally posted by AllBlack636
I say break the bike in with the OE or after market but as long as you break it in from the beginning with the same exhaust. That is what I was told by a friend that works at an after market shop. I put a Micron on mine when I had 2 miles on it and broke it in with it. You should be alright just put it on before you get over around 100 miles. You want the bike to breath the same way, not to change in the middle of brake in.

--ANthony
Personally, I can't see any reasonable logic for this argument... I've put pipes on just about every bike I've owned, usually while in the break-in period.

During break-in, it's best to expose the engine (and tranny/clutch/brakes) to VARIED conditions, and not over stress them.

The only caveat is, if you're replacing the pipe, remap the FI or rejet to avoid a lean condition - that WOULD be harmful, since running lean raises the EGT significantly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.