Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first bike last Sept., so bear with me here -- I'm looking at upgrading my exhaust and like the sound / look of a Micron -- can't afford a full exhaust, so I'm looking at a slip-on. What is difference between a slip-on and just a new canister? Do you have to own a micron exhaust (full or slip-on) to purchase a new canister or is it possible to attach a can right onto my current pipe?? Thanks for the help. Oh yeah, I have a '01 6r. Thx!

PS -- minus 5 degrees here today, I haven't ridden since November. Cabin fever is driving me crazy. Can't wait til spring.

·
Registered
501 Posts
First let me ask, does your bike have a stock exhaust? I have a 2002 6R and all I had to do was buy a slip on. If you have stock exhaust, like me, then you just bolt on the new slip on to you header. All you have to do is remove the stock exhaust pipe and bolt on the Micron with the hardware provided. I dont know how many miles you have on your bike but you might want to install a new exhaust seal ring with the new pipe. Also make sure you utilize some locktite when installing the new pipe or vibration will work the bolts loose. Hopefully this helps. [^]

Let Saddam come and play!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
First off, pre-2003 ZX6R's had BOLT-on cannisters, not slip ons...

The manufacturers making exhausts for the pre-'03's manufactured bolt on cannisters to work with the flange at the end of the header pipes (sometimes also called "flange-ons" depending on the manufacturer).

Slip ons for the ZX9R, the new ZX636R and ZX6RR, and the R6, for example, fit on the header pipes mid-way back of the lower cowling, where there is a removable section of "link" pipe leading to the cannister. When you replace the stocker with an aftermarket exhaust "slip on", you remove the cannister which is attached to the link pipe which is removed from the header pipe.

So to answer your question, any BOLT on you buy for the ZX6R will fit your bike. It's the easiest upgrade you can do, undo 3 bolts at the flange, and 1 at your rear footpeg mount. Viola, part goes off, part goes on. Piece of cake. And you don't need to replace any sections of pipe to do it on your bike.

With the '03 bike, there are no bolts at the flange, it just is connected to a link pipe.

Clear as mud ?

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
501 Posts
T15
Just in case there is any doubt, some companies still call their pipes "slip-on" even when they are "bolt-on" depending on the make/year/model of the bike. An example of that is Micron. Whenever you place your order just make sure to tell them your year/model bike and that you only want a pipe not the full exhaust. They will guide you in the right direction. Peace :D[^]

Let Saddam come and play!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.