Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 1993 ZX6 which originally has a dual exhaust, and then a older vance and hines full system was put on it. the header i have sanded an dpainted 1200 degree black and looks good, but the can itself is kinda scratched up, and i would like a nice looking one , and still utilize the header to save money. there is a nice slip on on ebay right now originally for an R1 i think, if i use JUST the can do you thin kit would be possible to have this fit on my bike? i see the bracket for teh passenger foot peg can be moved around, and i could make slight adjustments myself. do you guys think it would fit? Or anything else along the same lines woudl work?
heres the link to it....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35596&item=2422160909

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also currently my bikes can is held ontop the pipe by those same t spring things like the one in the ebay pic is. Does anybody have any thoughts aobut it?

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I really doubt it would fit, if things like this would be possible you wuold be hearing about people mixing and matching headers and cans to get the best combos and stuff...

i could be wrong and to be honest if you good at welding and metal work then anything would be possible. I just think it would be more headache then it would be worth...

hopefully some other guys will have some definite answers for you...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the problems that i foresee would be the header diameter being different than the can diameter, which with the pipe bender/expander at would fix that, and also the angle that the header is pointed too high for the can to mount to the footpeg. (where the can is a bigger diameter than the old one, but i could have the header bent slightly to get the pipe headed in the right direction. these are just thoughts.....anyone have any thoughts/problems they fore see?

·
Registered
650 Posts
whatever you do, you shouldn't mess with an exhaust to force it to fit...there is NO way that it is going to fit on your headers and it could create a running problem even with the slightest leak even if you did get it to fit by bending and expanding. Every mid-section on bikes are different, if it was a new Akrapovic canister and you had Akrapovic headers, then it would fit from an R1, but not Vance and Hines....sorry Hayden!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hayden, if you have Vance & Hines headers and mid-pipe then you CANNOT put any other canister on it except another vance and hines...and you should just make sure the diameters are the same from both the canister and the midsection...understand?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not just to argue with you, but because i would like something differnet, but why would it matter the BRAND of pipe it was? according to most manufacturers of slip ons none of them require a rejet therefore implying that they all flow roughly the same. my question is if the diameter of the can and the midpipe are the same, why would the brand matter, (as long as there where no exhaust leaks)if i got the hanger mount to fit?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i was planning on measuring my midpipe and having the seller measure his can....if everything went right and i was lucky, very little necessary fabrication, if not, itll take some work, but i alwasy could turn around and sell it on ebay again.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Good idea....good luck! Ebay sucks lately, too many liars out there, saying stuff has only a few scratches but its really trashed! Just be careful, get lots of pics and make sure to look at his responses from the people he has sold to before!
Just lookin out for you sweets!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for tippin me off about ebay. good stuff to know. hey anyway you could find something out for me? if a 1993 ZX6E complete Head will fit on a 1993 ZX6D model engine. your teh one that works at a motorcycle shop, and the nearest Kawasaki dealer to me is 2 hours away. help is greatly appreciated. Sweets huh? wow what did i do to deserve that? so i can do more of it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
why don't you just polish your old can??? A few hours, some sand paper, buffing comound, a buffer and you're in business. There's probally a local place that could do the same thing for you for a few bucks. Just doesn't make sense to buy a can and try and get it to fit when you can fix what you have

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i Have already polished the old can, the bike had been down on the side b4 i got it, to its got some deep scratches. i used mother aluminum and mag polish on teh entire can making it better, but not perfect.

·
Registered
618 Posts
There's an airplane steel cleaner that I used on my pipe a few weeks ago. It worked really well and even filled out the scratches a little. I can't remember what the name of it was...Dexter's or soemthing.

Anyway, whatever Ash says I'd believe, she's works for a performance shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.