Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 06 zzr about a month ago. As of now, I've installed the integrated tail lights, flush mount signals in front and have a -1 front sprocket on order. In the future I'm looking into putting a bolt-on on, but not really sure which company to go with. If anybody would lend any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Also, anybody know what I can expect from a -1 sprocket?

·
Registered
939 Posts
-1 sprocket will give you make the bike want to wheelie easier and will give you quicker acceration. but your rpm will be alot higher on highway cruising and your guages will show around 14% high milage and mph then your actually going.

·
Registered
939 Posts
as far as the bolt on. they are all the same power wise just go with the one you like looks wise.
i had a yoshimura for a while i had a yoshimura for a while, it had a nice deep tone.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I have -2 and +7 gearing on my bike and i like it but i want to ride stock and see how it rides lol, and i have a muzzy slip on, sounds great. With the overhaul i am doing i am thinking of putting 636 headers on and a devil high mount exhaust for a even more awsome look! I like the look of the tri oval yoshis, but never heard them, and i also think ackro is one of the cleanest and best built pipes out there.
Ben

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had a Muzzy full and slip on now and i love the sound. It is a really low sound, good enough to get heard and sounds different.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have a yoshi rs-3 in carbon fiber for sale (brand new condition), sounds great. I wanted something even louder, so I went with Micron. But if you're interested in a nice deep throaty sound, pm me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
A lot of people go with Yoshi and Muzzy, so I had to be different. I went with a Jardine RT-One bolt on and I love it. I've got a vid if you're interested.

And for the sprocket, I just recently went with a -1 sprocket. I like the it more than the equivelant +3 because if you bring it down a tooth, you have to push the wheel back about an inch, which acts like you are stretching ur swingarm a bit. This helps compensate with the more accessible torque by pushing your center of gravity back a little. And like luxuryliquidator said, your speedo is going to be off unless you purchace a speedo healer.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I went with an Akrapovic bolt on. Second choice was a Hindle, and third was the Yosh. I decided by sound. IMO D&D exhausts are annoying. Kind of like glass packs on a car.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Originally posted by bennsb
IMO D&D exhausts are annoying. Kind of like glass packs on a car.
I second that. I have a friend with GSXR1000 that has a D&D system on it and it's ungodly loud and annoying.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a D&D pipe on my zx6r and while it is loud, its diffnantly a better tone than a muzzy, IMO. I will admit though if i didnt have a helmit to block the noise i would have gone with something a little more conservative. As for sprockets im running 1 down in the front and 2 up in the rear. Its a great combination, im not constantly popping wheelies, but im not accelerating like a slug. Top end wise, i dont have much after 140ish, when i used to be able to hit 155 (...after time).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Muzzy bolt-on and wouldn't change it for the world. I love the tone at idle and higher RPM's. I have heard a D&D on the same bike and it is raspy and obnoxious loud. As for the sprockets, I have a -1 in the front. It gets you bike into its powerband quicker and does want to bring the front up quicker. It does make you bike run hight RPM on the highway and also throws you MPH off. I haven't done a Speedohealer yet, but that is priority.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a yosh rs-3 and I love it. I get a lot of compliments on it. It sounds a lot louder than my buddies 10r which he has an akra. I got mine for like 250 shipped brand new in stainless steel.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I still don't get how a change of a sprocket will make your rpms higher. I mean the engine still runs at the same rates per minute, it's just that the sprocket is different... or how does that work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Think of it like a bicycle the way you change the gears it gets harder and easier to move the pedals around. Works the same on the bike. A higher gear keeps the rotation of the gears in closer relation to the tires.... thus less rpm. works opposite for lower gearing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From what I understand here is what that means... normal gearing you would be going 60mph at 5,000 rpm in 6th gear and with it geared for acceleration you would be going 60mph at say 6,000 rpm in 6th gear(this is just an example... I just made these numbers up for a decent explanation). Hope it helps. :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
^ thats pretty much right on cue. Or at least with my sprocket set up. I just wish we could have the best of both worlds, crazy low end torque AND high top speeds.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a Yosh rs-3 stainless that I got for 100 bucks brand new. The dealer here had one laying around the shop that someone bought and never picked it up. Well it is a pretty good pipe, I like it a lot.. it is louder but its a clean loud it isn't raspy at all.
I also recently went down one tooth in the front and it has made a noticeable acceleration increase. The increased rpm's on the highway is not that drastic. You get used to it pretty quickly. I would recommend buying a speedohealer... They are very easy to install and an overall good product.
The front sprocket for me was a bitch to change. The nut was on there tighter than anything I have ever seen. I had to take it in to the shop and have them take their best impact to it to get it off. Good luck getting it off... you can find tips here on the forums just run a search.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yea for the sprocket nuts your going to have to use an impact gun and get the torque settings right. It was a major pita for me as well, seeing as how i was borrowing peoples tools, garages, etc then finding out i need to revit my chain and that was gonna be 30 bucks more...unless i ran the master link which is kinda sketch...glad its done.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.