Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the shots. I think I did the exact thing but my exhaust could still touch my tire. I ended up slipping in an extra nut to space out the exhaust the right. I have about .5 inch gap but it's solid and safe. Unless you spot something I did different in these pics :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
A suggestion if I may ?
Loosen the coupling with the header; at the clamp. then rotate the mid pipe slightly so it moves towards the left hand side of the bike (when viewed from the rear ) this may or may not make sense but if you can imagine that the muffler is a lever pivoting in the middle around the mount. Any movement at one end will result in the opposite movement at the other end. I hope that makes sense ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
That lever analogy makes sense but I'm not sure I can move that mid-pipe more to the left at all. It just slides right on straight and clamp right on. Only thing I can do there is maybe use a rubber mallet to slide it on further. I did try rotating it all around and this position is the one that results in the muffler being farthest away from the tire since the mid-pipe has an angle to it.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS
11 Posts
That lever analogy makes sense but I'm not sure I can move that mid-pipe more to the left at all. It just slides right on straight and clamp right on. Only thing I can do there is maybe use a rubber mallet to slide it on further. I did try rotating it all around and this position is the one that results in the muffler being farthest away from the tire since the mid-pipe has an angle to it.
I also did rotate the midpipe. after reading that tip, I remembered doing that as well. Sorry about that. I would also suggest, make sure that bolt in the top is not overly tight, you will squeeze the two sides together (it looks like you are squeezing them). use loctite and back it off a bit if you ware worried about it. or if you really want to get crazy you could cut a piece of pipe (or cut it off the stock exhaust) to slip over the bolt between the two top holes and tighten against the pipe so you don't squeeze it together too much. That would move the pipe closer to the tire also.

Edit: when you rotate the midpipe the bottom spring retainer is a pain to get on but it gives you clearance so its worth a try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Genius sir! I see the only difference between our setups is I tightened that bolt much more which slid the exhaust mounting spot farther towards the left side of the bike! I will loosen it up and loctite it up.

I also did rotate the midpipe. after reading that tip, I remembered doing that as well. Sorry about that. I would also suggest, make sure that bolt in the top is not overly tight, you will squeeze the two sides together (it looks like you are squeezing them). use loctite and back it off a bit if you ware worried about it. or if you really want to get crazy you could cut a piece of pipe (or cut it off the stock exhaust) to slip over the bolt between the two top holes and tighten against the pipe so you don't squeeze it together too much. That would move the pipe closer to the tire also.

Edit: when you rotate the midpipe the bottom spring retainer is a pain to get on but it gives you clearance so its worth a try.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Ninja 650 ABS
11 Posts
Genius sir! I see the only difference between our setups is I tightened that bolt much more which slid the exhaust mounting spot farther towards the left side of the bike! I will loosen it up and loctite it up.
Glad to have helped! After riding for a bit I do have to say it sounds great!! I did find one problem to look out for and that is that the header was a bit close to the lower fairing on the left side. It did start to melt it on mine. I did see it when I installed it but I couldn’t remember what the clearance was on the stock exhaust so I went with where it landed. I should have move it over at that point... Luckily, I noticed it after the first short ride so I believe I fixed it by loosening the mid pipe and header and shifted it over then tighten the header and then the mid pipe with it shifted over so there is more clearance. I’m also getting header heat wrap as a preventative. I’m going to wrap the spots where the fairing are close.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts