Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with frame sliders on the previous gen zx6r?
Any cutting needed?
I saw one the other day with a set on one of the fairing bolts but
it looked real flimsy, as if it would just snap right off...

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a set that bolt in to the faring bolts. Ive accidently dropped my bike a couple of times, and they work great, they didnt break and kept me from damaging my bike

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I have the same type pair that you attach to the fairing stay bolt. I think this type of frame slider helps in a bike tip over. With those no cutting is required.

In the unfortunate event of a fall that involved the bike sliding I think frame mounted frame sliders in that case would be better.

Fairing mounted frame sliders seem to have two depths. Ones that requires removal of the rubber grommet that is in the fairing bolt hole and ones that do not. The latter are usually longer with longer mounting bolts.

-Flash

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had sliders on my 98 and I recently installed them on my new 00. They work great and make you look like you give a shit about your bike. Unfortunately, my first set broke when my brother downed it around a turn at 5 mph. They are definitely better for drops, not wrecks, but what's more likely for you? That will make your decision easier.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The truth about FRAME SLIDERS.

There are two kinds. The ones that bolt to the frame and require drilling a hole through the plastics and in the frame (good kind)

And the ones that replace a fairing bolt (shitty kind)

The Dril type works good and protects your frame from slides and knock overs
The replace type only protects from knock overs, in fact they cause more damage to your fairings on slides than not having them at all.

If you slide (high or low) they snap off and crack your plastic (almost always) on top of that you end up with a broken screw in you frame that you can only DRILL out and re-thread or tap weld out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm what to do, what to do... It might all be just a moot point
anyways as I've already gone down on the right side at the track.
Maybe I'll just use the f*cked up fairings on raceday and get some
new ones for everyday riding...

localbar, what you said pretty much confirms
what I've been thinking...thanks for the info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Originally posted by localbar

If you slide (high or low) they snap off and crack your plastic (almost always) on top of that you end up with a broken screw in you frame that you can only DRILL out and re-thread or tap weld out.
gotta agree with that one. here's pics of mine to prove it.
luckily i didn't need to re-thread. What happened was the frame slider ripped the bolt out. So the bolt is still being used today, but the fairing is done for. I've been thinking of repairing it myself, but I think it'd be too hard to.

Jotz has attached this file: scloseside.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.