Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the head off of my bike doing some stuff, i got the head surface and the jug surface cleaned and they are both flat.
I also bought a new head gasket.

I want to do things right while I got it torn apart. So I have a couple of questions.

1. The top of the pistons are kind of dirty, one is rusty and another has a kind of black grease/carbon(?) build up. Should I clean these so they are silver again? Any tips on the best way to do it?

2. On the rear of the jugs a metal radiator line distributes into the engine in 2 places (kind of like a U). Inside the line alot of deposits have built up, I want to clean it out. But I loosend the allen heads that hold it on and pulled it out a little and their is some grease around it. I dont want to take it all the way out and put it back in after cleaning and have it leaking. Should I leave it or what?

Thanks for any help!!

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
1.A clean cloth and some brake cleaner ,sprayed into the cloth, works good.

2.There is an o-ring on this tube...pull er out, and re-grease when reinstalling.

Hope that helps.

Jason

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by badassjake

1.A clean cloth and some brake cleaner ,sprayed into the cloth, works good.

2.There is an o-ring on this tube...pull er out, and re-grease when reinstalling.

Hope that helps.

Jason
on the radiator line, I heard to just soak it in CLR. WHat kind of grease do I use? Thanks..

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
CLR would definately work good.
Something of a good nature(namebrand).Waterproof grease is always a no brainer.

After installing everthing back together you could run some coolant system flush through it to get the rest of the goodies out.(or at least help get them out)

Jason

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by badassjake

CLR would definately work good.
Something of a good nature(namebrand).Waterproof grease is always a no brainer.

After installing everthing back together you could run some coolant system flush through it to get the rest of the goodies out.(or at least help get them out)

Jason

ok thanks for all the help, im set to go :D!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.