Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike came with one key like my last key but i dont live in same area. Can any locksmith make a copy of these keys. Tried home depot before on old bike they couldnt so ended up at this shady locksmith. I was told before that there is a code on the ignition to give to a dealership and they can just produce a key. Any truth to that?

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
yes and no. Some LATER model ZX6r's had an immobilizer system. It appears in 2003-2004 the 6rr's didn't have that feature, in 2005+ they did.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah im gonna just get a local locksmith to do it as i have heard the newer ones have that immobilizer. I just wish a walmart or lowes could do it on the spot these locksmiths have banker hours..

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
A locksmith can do it. I just got 2 done for my 2011. The immobilizer is supposedly only on european models. I just put up a post about this so you can search for it. Wal-mart and other chain stores use a blank that's too thick, so they can cut it to match the grooves, but it still won't fit.

Sent from my DROID using Motorcycle App.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Same here! No prob.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Motorcycle App

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dealership did it for me just cut it and was good to go.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
dealership did it for me just cut it and was good to go.
How much did they charge you? My dealership wanted $25 per key, which is why I went to a locksmith and paid $8.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts