Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a new "squid" looking after a ninja 250 for my first bike, like everyone else.
I'm thinking about getting the "sport mesh" jacket and pants from kawasaki's factory catalog, since I can put them on the "good times" crdit card. I cant seem to find any reviews of the gear outside of the brief descriptions on kawasaki's website. Can anyone give his/her opinions about the factory gear? I'm looking at the boots and gloves as well, so comfort, abraison resistance, all of that, any insight?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I don't know if you'll find a lot of people who have bought Genuine Kawasaki gear. It's wicked expensive, much more than the same gear available in the general after market and has to be special-ordered in many cases. The trend here seems to be ordering gear from discounted websites like New Enough, Motorcycle Superstores or Rider's Discount.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
I did buy a genuine Kawasaki jacket a few years back. They just outsource their gear to several companies and have it made with the Kaw logos and what not. The key is to find which manufacturer made the jacket your looking at.
Also note that the ballistic nylon jackets are basically 1 use jackets. They will tear apart in an accident where you slide. Leather offers far superior protection. But by all means if its ballistic or nothing, go with the ballistic.....
I took the time to look at the kawasaki website. If you're talking about the one on their website...meh its okay but you get what you pay for. They have it listed for $50...most normal mesh jackets cost more than that, though they do list all the same features.
But definitely go checkout Newenough.com ....especially their closeout section if you're a little low on cash..excellent deals to be found there.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wicked expensive?

The jacket I saw was 49.99
The pants were 49.99
The gloves were 13.99
The boots were 199.00 though

I was surprised myself, and this is definently riding gear. It's all made out of "cordon" (or something) and spandura (or something).

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Wicked expensive?

The jacket I saw was 49.99
The pants were 49.99
The gloves were 13.99
The boots were 199.00 though

I was surprised myself, and this is definently riding gear. It's all made out of "cordon" (or something) and spandura (or something).
Is that real riding apparel? Like Monstermack said, "you get what you pay for." You're not going to get a "good" mesh jacket with CE-Approved armor that will stand up in a crash and actually protect you for much less than $125-150. You're not going to get a good pair of pants with CE-Approved knee protection for much less than $70-80. Those are probably some cheap unlined gloves that would shread when you need them most for $13.99. The only item that sounds about right is the $199 boots. The other stuff does not sound like protective gear at all.

Don't "cheap out" on your riding gear and buy for looks instead of how it will hold up in a crash or you may not even live to regret your choices.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I just checked out the Kawasaki gear on their website and was quite surprised at how cheap some of it was. Normally you can't get genuine manufacturer's gear for that low a price. However, closer inspection reveals many important terms missing, such as "ballistic nylon", "CE-Approved armor" and "adjustable". While this gear may be somewhat adequate for a small spill or slow speed low-side, your gear needs to be up to the worst-case scenario if it's actually going to do it's intended job. For that reason I suggest you do a bit more research in protective equipment before deciding on your gear. A lot of cheaper jackets put nothing more than foam strips in the elbows and shoulders of jackets and call that "armor", or put a thin foam pad on the back and call that a "back protector". Compare and make sure you are getting the best protection possible before parting with your money.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm willing to spend the money. I fuly expected to spend ~1000 on gear, helmet and everything. Why would kawasaki only have low-rent, cheap, and inadequate gear from their catalog? Its not like they have this jacket and then other, more expensive mesh jackets. It's pretty much ONLY that one.

I'm gonna be riding year round here in south florida, and only RARELY does it get below 70 degrees here. So I'm thinking leather is out. The kawi gear matched the new "special edition" green color scheme of the '09 250r and that's important to me. Any clues as where I can find something stylistically similar, but with adequate protection?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I ride in the Texas heat and perf leather is ok.
Think of it this way, would you rather spend 15 minutes in the shower rinsing off, or 3~6 months in the burn unit of your local hospital while they graft skin back on to your body.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I'm willing to spend the money. I fuly expected to spend ~1000 on gear, helmet and everything. Why would kawasaki only have low-rent, cheap, and inadequate gear from their catalog? Its not like they have this jacket and then other, more expensive mesh jackets. It's pretty much ONLY that one.

I'm gonna be riding year round here in south florida, and only RARELY does it get below 70 degrees here. So I'm thinking leather is out. The kawi gear matched the new "special edition" green color scheme of the '09 250r and that's important to me. Any clues as where I can find something stylistically similar, but with adequate protection?
There are plenty of Kawasaki green jackets with adequate protection on eBay (they have Icons for less than $200) with CE-Approved armor. It took about 3 seconds to find this one on New Enough:

http://www.newenough.com/protective...ica_supersport_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

You just need to learn what the best protective features are and look for them when you shop. There are plenty of archived threads on gear here and review sites on the web where you can learn more, like here:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys Rule :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just so you know, you can use your Kawi Card to get ANYTHING in the dealership... you don't absolutely have to have Kawi gear. Just tell them at the dealership that you're paying w/ a kawi card.

I got my Powertrip jacket, 2 helmets, Jeans, 2 Gloves, boots, and a bunch of accessories on my Kawi Card, none of it being Kawi gear...
If you absolutely can't have leather (perf leather is actually fine in our heat), at least go with textile. Mesh is def. a nono.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I ride in the Texas heat and perf leather is ok.
Think of it this way, would you rather spend 15 minutes in the shower rinsing off, or 3~6 months in the burn unit of your local hospital while they graft skin back on to your body.
+1 million.

I have a Teknic Impulse perf. leather jacket. If it can stand up to Texas heat, I think it should be fine for FL. Unless you're fine with sacrificing safety for slightly more comfort.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts