Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a '98 '6R, and from what I've been hearing a jet kit might be a good performance upgrade.

Is there a factory jet kit from Kawasaki that would work on my G1? Does anyone have any experience with this kit and is it good?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Made and sold by Kawasaki? No.
Made by other companies for Kawasaki motorcycles? Yes

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. So is a jet kit a good idea? Does it significantly increase engine performance? The two brands mentioned above are the ones to go with? How much would a kit cost?

The "Factory Pro" kit is a good option or no?!?

Thanks again for the help... sorry for all the ignorant questions!!!:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
As I've said here several times, a jet kit is a good purchase, but a Flo-Commander is considerably better. No contest. My new shop installs about an equal number of both but the Flo-Commander regularly make the bigger impact in power increase and smoothness. My own bike picked up just over 10 hp at 5000 rpm with the Flo-Comm. I've never seen any jet kit come close to that.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
One way is to look at the main jets to see if they are stock size. Another way is to look a the needles. Most carbs did not come with needles with adjustable clips.

·
Registered
130 Posts
RobLee,

Here's a sample of a Flow-Commander output. This isn't my bike, but it's a similiar example. My bike has over 170 hp so the percentge is naturally higher and not exactly typical. So I included this more common example of a 'stock' ZX-11. You can plainly see the 10 hp increase at 6000 rpm and the improvement all the way.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Strange dyno reading only from the standpoint that a ZX-11 is only putting out 120hp !!! [:0]

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
130 Posts
Not so strange really. A stock ZX-11 produces about 125 hp, on average. Certain things in life are routenly exagerated by almost everyone, things like how much money we make, how many women we sleep with, and how much horsepower our bikes have. The typical technique is to only record (and remember) the highest number and to discount everything below. In other words, if your bike has recorderd an output of 125, 127, & 129 hp, your bike has '130 hp'. Nearly every bike I put on the Dyno disappoints the owner. He nearly always expects more than actually observed. All his friends and everything he reads relates to the most 'extreme' numbers and never the average. Even for a specific model, only the most extreme example of a dozen like models will be quoted and made 'official'.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for posting the chart.

Although we love our charts, perhaps on this board a ZX-6R chart would be more attention-grabbing. I, for one, will wait with bated breath.

·
Registered
130 Posts
RobLee,
I now have my new 250i Dyno. It cost me over $22,000, so I'll be making a great many runs. I've installed five Flo-Commanders this week alone. The Dyno should be in operation in one or two weeks. This one has the fuel/air monitor and load control system. I'll post plenty of results here on the ZX-6 as I accumulate them.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
Can both the flo-commander and the jett kits be installed? Would it be better with both installed instead of only one or the other? If so, what HP increase can be realized from both? Trying to get the most out of my 02 6R, I plan on installing a yoshi bolt-on.

Irv Roman

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ironman,
Of course the bolt-on won't do much for performance but you'll probably like the sound. Both the Flo-Commander and jet kit can and should be installed. I routinely install both and also recommend either or both; however, the Flo-Commander should always be installed first. You can also expect greater results from the Flo-Comm as well. My customers always express satisfaction with both, but the Flo-Comm nearly always brings far greater response.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.