Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Labia Grappler
3,744 Posts
Thanks for the how-to Helo! I have a shift star being delivered today and used your write-up to take it apart last night. Reps man!

·
Registered
28 Posts
You need to use the spring that came w/ the factory kit, it is thicker that provides more pressure on the detent arm. u will need a 6mm washer behind the spring to give it proper clearance so the arm moves freely....these need to come w/ a kit that costs $170, but any local hardware store will have it...

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
oh and where do you buy this kit and how much does it cost?
From www.factorypro.com or on ebay.

It's a must for 05-06 636 & ZX6RR's especially if your bike has just started shifting issues. Much Cheaper than a new transmission plus smoother shifts. Great for racing or trackdays; Stunts too.

About $170

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
resurrection time

is the new Clutch Hub Nut necessary, or is that because yours got messed up?

And the kit comes with a factory gasket?

·
Registered
335 Posts
go to your local bike shop, buy the 20 dollar clutch holder tool. then go to checkers and pick up a 27mill socket. then run to a brakes plus or discount tire, trailer your bike there or in the back of a truck, ask them to zip that nut off for you. rather than bashing the clutch hub nut with a chisel, possibly bending the input shaft and costing you more money.
this aint Harley : )
other than that good right up.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I attempted to do this method but have failed. i could not get the clutch hub nut off. The bike was in gear but it'd still rotate. I tried several ways but it seems like you have to have the clutch tool and possibly another person with you. There goes another day. Sigh
I see a lot of people from San Diego in this forums, so thought I might ask. If anyone is willing to lend a brotha a hand please let me know.

·
Andre 3000
1,092 Posts
The kawi clutch holding tool listed in the manual works great. A little pricey but much better than the $20 tool at cycle gear. I took that one back cause clamp part was too thick and would not fit in the hub teeth. I didn't want to spend the money on the tool but I already had it apart and wanted to do it right.

Just let the kawi tool arm rest on the footpeg and nut comes right off. Then have someone hold it underneath the footpeg when you tighten it back down.

·
Banned
1,137 Posts
The kawi clutch holding tool listed in the manual works great. A little pricey but much better than the $20 tool at cycle gear. I took that one back cause clamp part was too thick and would not fit in the hub teeth. I didn't want to spend the money on the tool but I already had it apart and wanted to do it right.

Just let the kawi tool arm rest on the footpeg and nut comes right off. Then have someone hold it underneath the footpeg when you tighten it back down.
I removed (Just) the pressure plate and clamped/ put pressure on the friction plates with my fingers. Then used an electric impact gun and the nut came right off! Same during installation:) Easy!

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

the surface tension of the oil across the plates will keep the clutch "applied" for long enough to zap the hub nut loose.

·
Registered
250 Posts

Is there a part # for the kawi clutch holding tool?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Necrothread for sure, but does anyone know how I can tell if my OEM detent arm is steel or ceramic bearing? The guide here states it's ceramic from the factory, but Factory Pro states the OEM is steel. Not sure if there's any reason to replace it or not. Thoughts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cancel that. Just got clarification from FP themselves. The mention of the OEM being "updated" was that they updated to a roller bearing (steel) from the friction pin/washer type on the 04-. FP claims the steel rollers on the OEM detent arm of the 05/06 is very good quality from what they've seen, and do not recommend replacing it unless you use a quick shifter, which I do not. Ordered the star kit on Amazon for $129 to the door. Here's to not false neutral'ing on the hairpin at Thunderhill anymore!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts