Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning up my bike the last couple of weekends I've noticed this discoloration on my mid fairings that seems to be getting a lot worse in a hurry.

It is happening on both sides of the bike in pretty much the same spot. I'm not sure what to do with it...it won't come clean, so I assume something has stained or faded the plastic.

Anyone have this problem or have any bright ideas?

G

·
looks like something is stressing the plastic- maybe the heat during the day?

perhaps trying some vinyl dye might help?

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like something is stressing the plastic- maybe the heat during the day?

perhaps trying some vinyl dye might help?
Was actually thinking the same thing on both points.

EHHH..... Looks like wax to me.
Not wax...I have only waxed the bike with a black polish and it appeared sometime later. Also, it doesn't wipe off, wash off or chip off. The plastic is literally faded or stained.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Whatever cleaning agent you are using is causing it. No reversing it either. Sucks, but this is one of the many reasons why I don't clean Shitbox.

--David

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whatever cleaning agent you are using is causing it. No reversing it either. Sucks, but this is one of the many reasons why I don't clean Shitbox.

--David
Maybe it's time for some Dry Wash & Guard...or a new bike :D

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1.) What do you use to clean that area of your bike?

2.) have you tried Mother's Back To Black on that area yet?
I normally use a special soap which is supposed to be safe for various surfaces, especially plastics. I've been using it for months with no problem. This just started in the last three weeks and I have only washed the bike once in that time.

I have tried nothing other than the same soap and regular water to clean it. I was afraid to try anything without asking around for fear I would make the problem worse. Think Mother's might be the answer?

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
I thought it was wax too... but would it be possible to buy a replacement piece for those, and then try to clean them with mothers? Just in case it does make it worse...

but i know you just got a bunch o' shit too....

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Mother's Back To Black is awesome stuff. I thought my side covers were black until I tried it. Now they are BLACK. I think it might do the trick.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought it was wax too... but would it be possible to buy a replacement piece for those, and then try to clean them with mothers? Just in case it does make it worse...

but i know you just got a bunch o' shit too....
I would like to try to clean them up or re-dye them...they run about $50 a piece and that money would be better spent on my brake parts.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
From the Back To Black label: "Areas to be treated need not be black to obtain superior results. Treated areas will look new again and be protected against further oxidation." With that Arizona sun I'm surprised you're not using this stuff already, Slob.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With that Arizona sun I'm surprised you're not using this stuff already, Slob.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll grab some tomorrow. I haven't had any issues with fading or even thought about it to be honest until I spotted this.

I'm really regretting not picking up the same year/model/miles 10R that was orange for the same price at this point. Taking care of a black bike is a pain in the ass. The fading plastic is going to be on any bike, but it is just one more thing that needs a constant hand-rubbing to look new. ARGH!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'll grab some tomorrow. I haven't had any issues with fading or even thought about it to be honest until I spotted this.

I'm really regretting not picking up the same year/model/miles 10R that was orange for the same price at this point. Taking care of a black bike is a pain in the ass. The fading plastic is going to be on any bike, but it is just one more thing that needs a constant hand-rubbing to look new. ARGH!
that part is black, regardless of fairing colour.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I would say cleaner/wax residue too, but you say no way so I'll roll with that. Brake fluid does that too, but not in the locations you're showing really.

Back to Black works awesome (was using it on my mother's bumpers a couple hours ago), but I'm highly doubtful that it has the ability to eliminate a chemical fade like that.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
try cleaning it with a soap like simple green. See if you can get it out by spraying it and then gently wiping it with a cotton cloth. You might have to gently increase the pressure to get the soap to effectively dissolve whatever is on there. I really do think it's some sort of wax/cleaner residue that maybe was put on there before you bought the bike, maybe?

After cleaning the area the best you can and to avoid this happening again, apply some sort of vinyl dressing to the area. Back to Black works... My favorite is Meguiars professional vinyl and rubber conditioner... much, much better than the red bottled Meguiars stuff they sell at walmart. The brown bottle stuff is usually found in autoparts stores or paint specialty shops.

You may have to try some different products to find what works the best to protect that particular type of plastic used. I know when I had a MINI Cooper, there were so many different types of plastics/rubber used and each responded best to different types of products. You just have to find what works best on the type of plastic used on that part.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Now look at you Slob, you went and got all excited while riding and stained your bike.:D (And i was gonna say rub it out)...Ill refrain for now...but this is a very open door.

·
Premium Member
14,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe you overlooked this the first time I posted it........ :confused:

--David
No, I didn't...I just couldn't stand to not wash "Shitbox" :D

that part is black, regardless of fairing colour.
I realize that, but keeping up the constant scratches/swirls in the black finish on the other parts, makes fixing this one that much bigger of a pain in the ass.

I would say cleaner/wax residue too, but you say no way so I'll roll with that. Brake fluid does that too, but not in the locations you're showing really.

Back to Black works awesome (was using it on my mother's bumpers a couple hours ago), but I'm highly doubtful that it has the ability to eliminate a chemical fade like that.
I keep wondering if I got something else on it, it looks like residue, but it will in no way, shape or form seem to come off using normal methods of removal, so it is probably stained. I'm thinking I will try some things then dye the pieces as a last resort.

try cleaning it with a soap like simple green. See if you can get it out by spraying it and then gently wiping it with a cotton cloth. You might have to gently increase the pressure to get the soap to effectively dissolve whatever is on there. I really do think it's some sort of wax/cleaner residue that maybe was put on there before you bought the bike, maybe?
See above.

Now look at you Slob, you went and got all excited while riding and stained your bike.:D (And i was gonna say rub it out)...Ill refrain for now...but this is a very open door.
I never thought of that! Now...what do you use to get baby batter stains off a bike? :eek:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts