Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well was installing my lucky bike flushmounts and of course i had a couple of the fairing nuts fall out.

so i was wondering how in the hell do u get them back in? or do i have to go and get new ones?

i tried everything and could not get them back in.

here is a pic of what i am talking about.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i had one come out on me too man. all i could do after tryin to put back in was hold it while i screwed in the nut, so it works the same but u gotta remember when its there next time[}:)]

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had one of those tear right apart on me:( So I had to go to the local dealership, where the owner is a total dick, waited (I kid you not) 45 minutes in a line of 1 person, (does that make a line?) the continued to wait a nother 15 for him to find one and charge me $8.50! Sorry had to rant, if you come by my area never go to Cycle Design, or as we locals call it Cycle Disease.

Anywho, I just squeezed the rubber slightly with some needle nose pliers and pushed it through the mounting hole. It takes a little bit of fiddling but it works. Do you have a problem with some of them not lining up properly, I always have a hell of a time with a couple of them. They've been that way since day 1.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah they are a pain in the ass!! The holes in the fairings are actually different sizes, so depending on which one you lost it will be easier or harder. On the right side lower, the center one is the smallest and a pain, I ripped the stock one, bought a wind screen kit and ripped 5 of those. then I said f- it and used a little, and I mean little, drop of super glue to hold it on the back while I threaded the screw in. On the other hand, I dropped the one on the left lower, the front one, that one just popped right back in, no problem. You might want to try a little heat to make it more plyable or WD 40. If that doesn't work find a religion.

·
Get off of my lawn Dammit
44,696 Posts
I had a couple rip apart on me so I went to www.bikebolts.com and ordered some. I think they are like $1.40 a piece plus I ordered a bunch of the plastic push rivets for the belly. Ef them dealers charging $8.50 a piece.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yeah these things fall out all the time. I had my right fairing center nut fall out when I took the fairings off for 1st oil change. I ordered the LP windscreen kit since it comes with 8 wellnuts and 8 screws; however, the right lower center hole is too small for the well nuts and so I just superglued the stock wellnut together and held it while I screwed it in as described above. I also tried WD-40 to get them in and it makes them too slippery to grip with pliers or your bare hands...honestly if the wellnut is the right size it should fit with just a little pushing and squeezing of the tip. BTW: TuffStuff07 you don't have to remove the fairings to install flushmounts...all you have to do is remove the two inner panels on the inside right next to the radiator (2 bolts on each side I believe) and remove the stockers and plug in the flushmounts ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
I bought the lp windscreen kit and they worked fine for me. Used them on all my fairings and windscreen. They'll expand once you start to tighten them but you may have to hold them in or something. I only had to do that on one of the lower fairings.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I kept trying to put that fat end in first. Then I tried putting it in the flat head piece in, was able to get enough in to grip it and pull it through no problem.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok the way i found it worked the best was that u put the fat end down and then put a pair of needle nose pliers in the middle and push them in.

icepick06 that is how i did the other side that way but i couldnt figure out the bolt on the inner fender but now i did. its an 8 mm for reference.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thats basically how I did it tuffstuff, the rubber just pops back to original form.

Thanks prs for that website, I'll surely use it to get a few extra just in case;) I needed mine right away though and didn't feel like driving an hour to the next nearest dealer. Had to go to the guy who blows donkeys.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I removed the body work on my bike and was lucky enough to not have any of them fall out.

I did, however, have to hold them in place (somehow) to screw the bolts back in.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i guess i am going to order some along with a black bolt kit and just change the bolts to black while i am at it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.