Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed this while cleaning my bike - I keep getting a ton of rocks getting stuck right in between where the two bottom portions of the fairings join up with a center U shaped piece by the headers. I can see that that there is a space/gap left open when the bottoms meet because one side seems lower than it should be. If I push that side up, the gap is eliminated but as soon as I let go, it pushes back down and leaves that little opening for all the rocks to get in. I've checked all the screws and bolts and they are not too tight and not too loose. The gap is at the very front towards the front tire.

Questions: [:M64]

1) Anyone else have this condition?
2) Any way to fix this?
3) Would this be covered under warranty (probably not)?
4) I was thinking of just placing a tiny piece of weather stripping in between to block the opening - good/bad idea? (Would be ugly for sure)

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PS - I did search but either found no results or 16 pages of unrelated results based on the word Fairing - I searched 5 of them and gave up.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
i know with mine there are tabs that hold it in place and line everything up... but then again i have an 02 zx6r but that should still be the same... the tabs make the pieces line up and fit flush...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have an '06 ZZR600. Just like the previous poster, my fairings have plastic tabs that are offset to hold it flush and tight. When I change my oil filter, I don't notice any rocks falling out. I do get some road grime, but that is it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the posts guys - just to clarify - The tabs you are referring to are towards the rear wheel, and those line up perfectly for me. The problem I have is at the front, towards the front wheel - there are no tabs there. It just behind that U shaped piece where the two sides meet and are supposed to be flush. I've drawn a red circle and an arrow pointing to the area. It's in front of those tabs.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
i agree, when i had fairings on my bike, they didnt line up perfectly there either.

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
Racer: they must have changed the fairings for your bike from the ZX6R days because where your refering to is the tabs that 02zx6r is on about. there are 2 on each half and they slot in to place before screwing up the fairing to the V piece at the front. Check with your dealer and see if this has changed for the zzr600 or you may have them broken off.

Russ

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Deathace
Racer: they must have changed the fairings for your bike from the ZX6R days because where your refering to is the tabs that 02zx6r is on about. there are 2 on each half and they slot in to place before screwing up the fairing to the V piece at the front. Check with your dealer and see if this has changed for the zzr600 or you may have them broken off.

Russ
I'll have to ask my dealer the next time I'm in. I do have those 4 slot tabs you described but they are behind the area that is not matching up. If you were looking straight on the V piece at the front, right at the very bottom of it where the two halves join (in front of the tabs) is where you can see one side slouching lower than the other. So you are saying you have tabs there too? Weird... Well I'll have to check out someone's 00-02 Ninja and see what theirs looks like. Either way I was looking for a way to correct it. I'm afraid of trying to bend the fairing up too much because I might crack the plastic or the paint. The other idea was to ride and get the bike warmed up to its normal temperature and basically heat up the plastic that way and then place something under the bike to keep constant pressure on the half that's low. Maybe by the time it cools it will be right?

Any other ideas? - This is not a big issue but I'm a little annoyed since this is a brand new bike and after 1 oil change the fairings don't line up...

Thanks for all the responses above.

Dan

·
Resident Brit™
1,157 Posts
using a heat gun to gently warm the plastics up and then as you say apply pressure to straighten it up would work fine.

I would suggest putting something on top that weighs a fair bit and then prop it from the bottom then you will get a complete match up for both panels.

Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.