Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O and I forgot to say that when I cut the bike off and it is above 210 it will jump up to well over 220 with the bike off.

thanks again
Mr. Speed

------

Going fast in a straight line is fun, but I live for the twisties.

·
Registered
755 Posts
No, everything is normal. The fan should kick on around 215-225 degrees, and it will not hurt your bike at all. The only time it will hurt your bike is when the temp guage starts to blink @ 240, then start splitting traffic. If you want more insurance, make sure your coolant resevior is completely full to the top line with the mix of distilled H2O and proper coolant. Also, your bike's temp will shoot up when you shut it down because the heat is still there, but there is no wind or anything to cool it down. If the engine is still too hot when you shut it off, the fan should kick on when you stop. So don't worry, everything seems to be working normal.

------

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by sgates

If the engine is still too hot when you shut it off, the fan should kick on when you stop.
The only problem is that the fans are cooling the radiator, but not the engine. Without an electric pump, the fans running after the fact are pretty much worthless. I never park mine that hot.

------

-gary

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys,
I dont think that my fan is cutting on when it should. My bike is getting up to 221degrees in traffic and I even saw 224 today. I havent had time to take it to the dealer and I probably will. Is this hurting my bike? If so is there a relay or something that I could check myself to try and correct the prolbem? Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Mr. Speed

------

Going fast in a straight line is fun, but I live for the twisties.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Not strictly true Gary. As long as the stat is open (which it will be at those temps) you will get a certain amount of thermo-syphoning in the cooling system (I used to have a 1947 Austin which didn't have a water pump but used this system, albiet with a big rad and fan).

------

Ash

www.mcnninjas.co.uk The Best Ninja Owners Forum in the UK

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Convection isn't going to move near as much as a flowing pump. The sensor is also in the rad, not the block. The temps will continue to rise to a point when the water stops flowing. I would say that if you killed it when it's in the mid 20's, it will hit 40 in the block fairly quickly. I don't park mine that hot just for that reason.

------

-gary

·
Registered
18 Posts
dont know if it'll work but couldnt you swap the fan switch to an adjustable automotive type that you could set to come on at a lower temp???

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I found one of those switches from summitracing and it comes on at 170deg. I think that is a little too early. I think that would make the fan motor work a little too much. It may not but from what I am told if you burn up that fan motor you are looking at about $400. Can't buy just the motor. Have to buy whole assembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.