Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recntly installed a new undertail for my bike that had the leds built right into it. since then the blinkers blink really fast, just like on a car when one of the filiments is loose or burned out, is there anything out there to correct this or should i just get used to it.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
My blinkers will blink really fast if one of the grounds come loose, or if one of the bulbs burns out. If none of your bulbs are bad, check all your ground wires.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Have you tried replacing the stock signal relay with an electronic one that will handle the "new" wattage of your signal lights? ...That is where your problem may lie.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i installed some led flush mounts recently for my front turn signal. i encountered the same fast blinking affect. i kinda like it though. did you order the new undertail from HOTBODIESRACING? i ordered mine from there, i recieved it yesterday, began installation and realized that two of the holes did not line up at all. i called them, sent it back today, and ordered another, hope this one fits correctly.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
make sure the terminals are placed in the right slot.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
This is normal when you change the blinkers.
The stock relay is set to work with a preset set of bulbs, they have their own resitance/wattage.
If you change the blinkers, the rate of blink will change, since the resistance/wattage being pulled by the blinkers is different.
You can get an aftermarket blinker relay for $2 or $3 at your local automotive store. Anyone know the model# offhand?
If I have not posted the model# by tommorow PM me, I'm forgetful :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
your blinker module uses the bulbs' resistance to modulate the blinking. LEDs barely have ANY resistance, so the module gets confused and blinks fast. the same thing happens if one of your bulbs burns out or loses its connection. i have seen adapters that connect in parallel to 'fake out' the blinker module into blinking correctly, but i cant remember where at the moment. ill get back to you --

·
Registered
4,295 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
People, people....

The issue will the fast blinking is cause by the impedance level being received by the flasher relay via the blinker/bulbs.

There are two ways to correct it:

1) hope to God that you find and OEM flasher relay that matches the fit and amp pins the stock wiring uses for the stock flash relay harness. I found this to be a problem.

2) you find a 5 watt resistor and place it in paralell with all two/four blinker. The resistance size will vary depending on the bulb rating..They do vary from bulb to bulb.

I end up leave the signal to flash a bit faster. If you realy need to figure it out you can use the electical calculation of E=I*R but more approperiate is the one for wattage because you may not know the "I" (current) draw of each bulb. The most inform on these bulbs is Watts and the voltage (12 or 24) go with the 12V. The formula for the wattage one is "P=V*I=IR*I wihich equats to "P=I squared *R.

This should hopefully get you going. Oh don't forget to heat shrink the 5 watt resistor.

If you need help I will try but sometime explaining somthing to another gets lost. You can also ask a wiz back electrical/Electronics shop or person.

Hope this helps somewhat,

Fly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.