Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres alot of info on jet kits, full exahust systems, timing advancers, etc. posted. what would you do to your zx6r to make it fatser?

what combos would you go with? any engine rebuilding?
im looking to add on engine mods and want some proven personal experiences and prefrences.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Thought you were going to get an 03 Art? ;) BTW: You going to make it this weekend?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
You can spend a lot of money and make it a tiny bit faster. If you put a full exhaust system with a jet kit and advancer you can expect a 5-10 hp boost which will cost you $1,000-$2,000 depending on the brand of exhaust and whether you do it yourself or not. This will probably give you a tenth of a second or so in the quarter mile and 2-3 mph top end.

If you really want to go a lot faster, meaning 10-20 mph faster, then the cheapest way is just to buy a faster bike like a ZX-9R or a ZX-12R. Your bike will probably do about 155. A ZX-9R will do about 170 and a ZX-12R will do about 180.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
03 is almost out of the question now. no one wants to buy it locally for a resonable price. if its not sold by february, im going to give it a makeover(new sharskinz plastics, polished frame, cool paint job, and engine mods)

05 mustang is almost here too, and ellie is going to be unhappy if i add more debt instead acting grown up[V]

ill be there sunday at 11 or 12. we might go stunting later with will and friends, so dont tell HSN;)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you really want to go a lot faster, meaning 10-20 mph faster, then the cheapest way is just to buy a faster bike like a ZX-9R or a ZX-12R. Your bike will probably do about 155. A ZX-9R will do about 170 and a ZX-12R will do about 180.
i was afraid of that, thanks swjohnsey :)

sprockets will only help acceleration correct?
i know top end speed will be lost, so my dilema is a lost cause
[V][:M69]

·
Registered
978 Posts
If you really want to be faster, take a racing course/open lap day with instructors.

Going up a few teeth in the rear sprocket, and down in the front would allow for faster acelleration, yet lower top speed. And vice-versa.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you really want to be faster, take a racing course/open lap day with instructors.
thats not going to help. im looking for a faster bike, not driver;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Originally posted by arturo3rd
thats not going to help. im looking for a faster bike, not driver;)

Then you may want to make sure your life-insurance is up to date. :-/

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
why? now[:M84], thanks

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
SW... while as usual I agree about the majority of your post... I will call slight exception to the 9R bit. The new issue of Superbike or Fast Bikes, can't remember which, pits the '03 636 against the 9R, and in the end, they call the 636 faster. It is a near-tie in the 1/4, and very close in the top speed, but the 636 was actually faster in the roll-ons, thanks to better gearing no doubt. If you REALLY want to upgrade on a 636, you'll no doubt need to go to the 10R. (I realize Arturo has an '01, but really the difference isn't going to be THAT dramatic, and the 9R is a heavy beast - power to weight is near identical to that of the 636).

Arturo, I'd have a good read of the Sportrider issue where they do up the '02 ZX6R to try to make it competitive with the 636. It shows what they consider to be the very best in possible mods for the bike. For engine, they installed an Akrapovic Evolution exhaust, an Ivan's jet kit, and a Factory Pro +4 ignition advancer, and netted a huge 9hp peak gain, and even more above peak. It brought their rear wheel dyno'd peak from 95 to 104. Outstanding gains really, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10%. The chassis mods were said to be just as impressive (DP brake pads, Traxxion Dynamics revalving, Penske 8981 shock, Spiegler braided steel lines, 42-tooth Sunstar sprocket).

It's the October 2003 issue in case you wanna give it a read.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
dj, have you ridden an '00 onward ZX-9R? They go like no 600 outside of World SuperSports could ever hope to. They can also be made (pretty easily too) to handle really well. Once you're moving, the weight of the 9 isn't a problem unless you're really, really, REALLY picky.
As for the roll-on's, I've always thought that if you really want to accelerate, you'd change down a gear or two. Having said that, the roll-on shows just how the 9 makes its power, it's like a 600 - all above 8,000rpm. I was surprised how much mine needed to be revved to get it to move. I'm still sure that at 4,000rpm my ZX-6R would out accelerate the 9 but it wouldn't last long once the rev's start to climb.

As with most things like this, raw numbers don't tell the whole story. Art, you have to ride a bigger bike to really see what they do, their acceleration is mind distorting. Especially when you realise they're pulling as hard in 3rd gear as they did in 1st.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by dj dunzie
The new issue of Superbike or Fast Bikes, can't remember which, pits the '03 636 against the 9R, and in the end, they call the 636 faster.
It was Performance Bikes.

Originally posted by dmp

Going up a few teeth in the rear sprocket, and down in the front would allow for faster acelleration, yet lower top speed. And vice-versa.
There is no use of trying to raise top speed with gearing if the bike won't have the power to hit the rev limiter in top gear after the mods. And usually stock middleweights don't have the power to that, stock gearing is designed to give best overall compromise between acceleration and top speed.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
A good friend of mine rides an 02 9r that's pretty much stock and i have my 636 with an Arata full titanium system and power commander and i can eat him up on take off, but top end he leaves me right about 150 and then i'm done. I posted something kind of like this a few months ago when a couple of us ahad a debate on the 636 vs. the 9r, but a couple of you were like no way a 636 left a 9r but i do it almost every weekend durring the summer. IMO the 9r is under powered and overweight.

·
Registered
493 Posts
hell i believe you Dman... the larger displacement bikes are signifigantly fater(top end)... but they really dont pull until above 130 or so... when top speed starts to become a factor

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DJ, thanks, i forgot i have that issue too.:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
goto some nhra drags and ask the guys that ride those bumble bees what they did to t
heir bikes - you just want a highway deathtrap?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.