Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, hope someone can help me out with something i may have overlooked...

On monday i was at a trackday at Portland International and the morning sessions i was running michelin Power Race in medium compound up front & rear (2nd trackday with them)...worked great no issues..But i did get a little spin in my 3rd session on a decently fast, lots of lean angle left..only real one on the track..

So since the back was getting shot i had a pilot power (street tire)available and put her on..Well the scrub in session she felt good and was working great...
Next session i go out and pretty much get a little to hard on it maybe?
The right handers were fine, so half way into my session on the left hand turn i get on it and she wags to the right comes back then she wags to the right again bigtime, enought to have me let off the throttle some and it felt like she was trying to stand up, so i gave her more throttle so as not to be tossed over the top in a highside, like everyone seems to do in this same corner...well i ended up maybe giving it to much throttle and low side the bike...in 2nd gear around 8-10,000Rpm...

Here is what i came up with...i was in the B group and was using a different line then all but 2 of the more experienced guys...so the line was maybe not so Green. But the A group was using the same line.

option 2..Tire was not holding enough heat in that side and just didnt stick, causing me to spin up the rear. My Opinion

option 3..I was just using to much throttle and overpowered the tire?
due to be cold?

Air Pressure was set at 26 Cold...

any input would be great...I will scan a pic of me and several others in this corner..

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
First, street tires do not have the traction race tires do, and second the 25 psi is too low for that tire, the race model likes 22-23 but the street tire should have 30psi.

The race tires are not "done" because the rear slides a bit, I routinely run three trackday or more on a set and I am probably going a bit faster than you. A slide indicates a throttle control problem, and the best thing you can do is NOTHING or let off the gas a tiny bit. Letting it off and whacking it back on is a recipe for disaster.

So
tire pressure low
street tire
poor throttle control.

just my thoughts

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Sounds like you just learned an important lesson. New tires are a lot cheaper than fixing crash damage

·
Registered
117 Posts
Originally posted by Ernie
First, street tires do not have the traction race tires do, and second the 25 psi is too low for that tire, the race model likes 22-23 but the street tire should have 30psi.

The race tires are not "done" because the rear slides a bit, I routinely run three trackday or more on a set and I am probably going a bit faster than you. A slide indicates a throttle control problem, and the best thing you can do is NOTHING or let off the gas a tiny bit. Letting it off and whacking it back on is a recipe for disaster.

So
tire pressure low
street tire
poor throttle control.

just my thoughts
i have to agree, street tires do not compare to racing tires when ti comes to track days. I am confused why you would go backwards to a street tire if you were spinning up a race tire? either way sounds like you need to feather the throttle more, work on being smooth and not being fast. throttle control is a fundamental part of what happened to you.

BTW i run advanced groups on the track (beaverun and cayuga in canada) and have about 3 track days to a set of 209gpa race takeoffs and never have traction issues.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well shit happens i guess and what works on one bike obviously dont work on another one...Especially with street tires...
I learned a valuable lesson...a pretty wore down set of Pilot race tires are better then newly broken in street tires..

Maybe i need to work on my Throttle control with the ZX6R? as i normally ride a more powerfull bike with a shit load more torque and it has never had an issue even with copious amounts of throttle..

so much for a 636 being easier to ride then a liter bike..

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Use track tires on the track, and when YOU FEEL they're worn, replace them.
Look at the bright side, you spun the rear around into a lowside. It could have caught and turned into a highside.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually that is why i juiced the throttle as the bike stepped out enough i knew i was not bringin it back and i could feel it standing up..

So i just decided that a low side beats a highside any day...
Thanks for the input, and i think from what a friend says he knows someone who has it on video, which would be nice to see.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the PM, need to get the nuhumber off the peice of wood i wrote it on yesterday...Damn home improvement stuff!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.