Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to relocate the license plate bracket up higher where the reflector is and then cut away the plastic fender below? Seems like it would require minimal effort and would save a hundred bucks over aftermarket products. Any ideas, suggestions?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
That's exactly what I did. Only had to drill one hole, there's already one there ya can use. Looks good IMO. Saves your trunk, it's not quite as sleek as a true eliminator kit, but those are way overpriced. They do look good though. Fit some short stalk signals on your new bobbed undertail and you're all set. I have a pic somewhere I think if ya wanted to see it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yeah -- what he said. :) I just did this, myself. Moved up the license plate bracket to where the reflector was, using one of the latter's holes and poking in one more (comes out perfectly centered). Then trimmed off as much of the fender as I could, using a utility knife. Then mounted some clear signals into the storage compartment.

Have some extra blades on hand and be careful -- I slipped a few times and am lucky I didn't pop an eyeball.

Oh yeah -- Hi. First post, red '02 6R with Yosh RS3 bolt-on, LP speedscreen, and aforementioned fender mods. Adjustable LP pegs and front flushmounts waiting to be installed, rear seat cover ordered from e-bay guy. Ferkin' great bike, love it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought my 6r used and the previous owner did that and chopped it all to hell. I will more than likely get a used stock rearend and modify it myself. and I agree.. the fender kits are way to expensive.

01 6R Yellow Micron

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I spent the weekend working on the rear-end. I placed new shorter stalk signals on the back, moved the license plate up and used a dremel to remove the fender and smooth the edges. I also changed the front signals to flushmounts. I took pictures along the way if anyone is interested. The final product is pretty nice looking I think.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I did the same thing. I can't believe how big those stock blinkers were. Also can't believe how much better the rear end looks. Use a dremel and cut little bits at a time, better to not cut enough, and have to make a few more swipes, than gouge into a spot you should not. Anyways it looks F&^$%#ing great, and only cost me 20 bucks for some mini Carbon look flush mount signals. There's not enough room for the OEM signals if you cut off all of the fender.

Then I used the scraps of the fender to fab a hugger for the rear wheel (j/k):), but I saved enough $$ to buy the hugger.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Overall the bike looks and feels so much more streamlined. Those gint turn signals just felt dorky and out of place. I am quite pleased with the results. A hugger might be a nice addition too...

·
Registered
39 Posts
WOW!!! yiour bike looks incredible......i have a 98 ZX6R in the same colour and im in the process of doing the 2000+ front end conversion and painting the rims the same colour as the bike...

so i guess my bike will look like that....thanks for showing the pics, now i know how everything will look

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yo Trauma.....where did you get your fluch mounts and rear flashers.....I did the fender reduction but it looks like ass with the stock flashers. Your bike looks sweeeet man.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.