Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a valve adjustment, bike runs now but dies if i give gas. Timing Valve CLearences and spark have all been triple checked and are good. my question is what is normal feul pump relay behaviour.
Key on power present to the pump? cut feul while cranking?
also the bike will ilde but if i put 12 volts to the feul pump it floods instantly, what sends the feul pump speed? the relay has heatsink compound and cant be tamoered with to examine. IS THERE A RESISTOR IN THE FEUL PUMP RELAY? or does the Digital IG Sene voltage sig to pump to vary speed? im out of ideas.[xx(] the repair manual is vauge at best on fuel delivery before the carbs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So then the pump only runs during intial flick to on position for the pre pump, then while cranking then shuts off while idle/running?

Where is that IIRC

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not getting any power to the feul pump side after the relay...my pump never turns on and the bike will idle but then kill as you start to demand more feul? My diag was that the feul relay must be bad as ive got power coming to but not from. But if i put batery voltage to the pump BREIFLY it floods. Where is that IIRC located/integrated with?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
IIRC stands for If I Recall Correctly ;)

have you checked to see if there is a signal going TO the relay when you hit the starter button? if it is getting signal then it is the relay that's pooched. if it's not getting a signal then your problem is elsewhere, perhaps in the cdi or in the wiring harness somewhere.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no the Relay is dust, but my real question is IS THERE A RESISTOR IN THE RELAY? because batt voltage to the pump floods the motor instantly.i think i figured it out today ill let you know in a week or so when the new relay comes in.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a used relay from a 94 ZX7. Will it work for you? I bought it thinking mine was bad, but it turned out to be my pump. Got pump from Caboose and bike works fine now.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
The relay gets power all the time ONLY when you are pushing the start button. Otherwise, if the engine isn't running the ecu doesn't send any power to it. The relay is powered on and off just like the spark coils. Relays take timem to open even after the power is taken away, so by 3000 rpm (guessing) it doesn't open before its powered again.

You can power the pump directly from the battery if you are in a bind. The pump only makes a couple PSI and the float valves can easily hold it back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.