Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im tearing down my 00 zx6r and replacing various parts, chain sprockets brakes etc. I have 2 questions. First i am replacing the water pump seal and the oil seal behind it due to it leaking a few drops earlier this season. My question is that after i put in the new seals in i noticed that the water pump impeller would not turn, im assuming that it is driven from the oil pump which is driven from the crank so that is normal.please tell me im correct with this..

Second is that i have the exhaust off to do some cleaning and i noticed that the number pipe or far left exhaust pipe is almos twhite inside like its running lean, What would cause this, the bike runs perfect and has stock jets and a k&n filter.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
The water and oil pump are one assembly driven from the crank, yes.

Your pipe may look like it's running lean becsuse...it's running lean, or too rich. Just because the bike feels to be running fine doent mean it's perfect. You can use an temperature gun to check the temp of each pipe to see if there are significant differences in them. When was the last time you synch'd the carbs? I would let the bike get up to temp, then check the pipes with a gun, then I'd synch the carbs and check the header pipes again to see if you resolved the issue.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply LarryJ. And i knw i will get bashed for this. But the bike has157,413 miles on it and i have never touched the carbs. It runs great so i leave it alone. Also one more thing. Last year i was having issues with it fouling out number one plug from being to rich. Now that same cylinder looks to lean. What could cause that???

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Exhaust gas temperatures operate on a bell curve when plotted against air/fuel ratio. A bike running too lean will have high EGT. Right? On the flip side, as the mix gets richer, the EGT goes down. Well if the mix continues to get more and more rich, the excess fuel starts to burn in the exhaust, which in turn raises the EGT and causes what many mistake as too lean. So, high EGT doesn't ONLY mean it's running lean. Make sense?

For your problem it could be on either extreme of lean or rich. I suggest you dismantle and thoroughly clean the carbs. Then put them back on the bike and synch them. You should notice it running better afterwards.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so i pulled the plugs out this evening to put in new plugs,before i put my exhaust and tank and everything back on. I noticed that both plugs on the left side, number 1 and 2 i think are both a very light brown almost white. I have been running 87 octane fuel, could that cause this problem. I havnt pulled the other two plugs yet so idk if they look the same r not.o

·
Registered
7 Posts
The white tips can be from running lean.

I've only ever run 91 octane in my 01 zx6r. But I've ridden the same year bike that had 85 octane in it and it would so nothing but misfire.

Maybe you're 87 octane is slightly detonating early and you're getting an incorrect air/fuel ratio.

Hope this helps,

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
87 is perfectly fine. The fuel isn't the problem, the a/f miture is. I don't have these issues with 87, but I have taken my carbs off and cleaned and then synch'd them many times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts