Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple hours of searching for the home made FI Fix, I came up with little info but tried anyway and my light still stays on. I didn't get a bracket with my used exhaust so for everyone out there lets put this to rest. Of course I may have done it right and the FI light is on for another reason but lets get this out of the way first.

First step, remove the hexagon plate.

Second step, turn the key on and off until the notch in the post is facing which direction? 12, 3, 6 or 9 oclock?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, now 3rd step is the bracket that goes on top of the hex plate you put back on. I made a U bracket out of a piece of aluminum bar and it jams against the servo at the mounting bolts (A & B in pic). However, when I turn the bike on, it jams against those and then turns back a little. Should I bend the bracket so that the servo can't move at all?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I would say that you are not allowing it enough movement. My understanding of the FI fix is that you want the servo to emulate the movement that it has stock which is much more than that. You want it to think that the cables are still hooked up to the exhaust valve.

Here are some pics I found searching of different FI light fixes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw the picture noted above and thought, hey if I just flip my U upside down it would do virtually the same thing... and so I cut off the U and it worked...

First step, remove the hexagon plate.

Second step, turn the key on and off until the notch in the post is facing 12 oclock as shown in this picture

Third step, cut a piece of bar stock down so that its long enough to contact the chunk of plastic that held your cables on each side. Drill a hole for the bolt (mine was slightly off center and allows a bit more movement of the bar which might be important, dunno).

Fourth step, put lots of locktite on that bolt as many people report it loosening and the FI light coming back on. Then bolt it down and let it cure.

Turn the bike on and start it. You'll see it turn right, hit the bumper, then back left and hit the other bumper, then it will re-center. Blip the throttle and you'll see it flutter a bit. And your nasty red FI light will be off, allowing it to notify you of a real problem.

I didn't put the hexagon plate back on as it allows the bar to be lower and get better contact with the plastic chunk.

This is a very back-40 hillbilly fix, but hey, just saved myself 50 bucks.

Hopefully this helps some other frustrated guys out there...

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
shit if i was stateside i would make up say about 10-20 of them bad boys and do a free giveaway...

Just that being away for the last year has killed my fabricating and fun with the zx6R...oh well glad to see you got yours working, as i would of just copied my akra one and gone from there...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yep, i hadn't seen the picture of the akra fix until it was posted above. that was the giveaway on how simple it is. the others make complicated brackets and levers and junk and confused my simple mind. :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by livethedream
yep, i hadn't seen the picture of the akra fix until it was posted above. that was the giveaway on how simple it is. the others make complicated brackets and levers and junk and confused my simple mind. :p
Nice job! what kind of pipe did you get?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by xtremewlr
Ok, here is the piece that I made for my Fi light fix. Just a bracket that I had laying around that I cut off the excess, bent one side to match and drilled a hole in. Used blue Locktite on the bolt and it works like a charm.
Very nice. Would this work for all exhausts?
Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
I got a akra slip-on and my servo fix valve makes noise. now when I turn the key on and when I turn it off, it makes a noise. the noise is longer when I turn it off, is this normal?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I am the one who installed it but the servo just moves and when it moves it just moves back and forth now i am thinking maybe i clocked it wrong?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts