1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I have a couple Teknic Chicane suits, but I prefer a two piece. I really like them, I think they are a really good value.

Some of the differences I have noticed between a $400 suit and a $1200 suit is stuff like a removable, washable liner, and better padding, materials, and stiching. Thats not always true though, I have seen $1000 suits that were not put together well and felt flimsy.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a couple Teknic Chicane suits, but I prefer a two piece. I really like them, I think they are a really good value.

Some of the differences I have noticed between a $400 suit and a $1200 suit is stuff like a removable, washable liner, and better padding, materials, and stiching. Thats not always true though, I have seen $1000 suits that were not put together well and felt flimsy.
i thought about getting a 2-piece suit, but i hope to actually race next summer and i'm under the impression that you have to wear a 1-piece in any WERA sanctioned event (and most other organizations)

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
The Chicane two piece has a 360 degree waist zipper, and I don't know any track day organization that won't allow a two piece with a 360 zipper. Most club racing orgs are ok with them also.

I looked up WERA's rules on clothing:

10. Riders clothing and protective requirements:
a) All WERA competitors must wear helmets which have a Snell ’00 or ’05 approval sticker, or must be BSI or EC approved and must be in good condition (as determined by Tech) and not manufactured more than 5 years prior to the date of the event.. Helmets must be taken to Technical Inspection and must display a WERA Helmet Tech decal prior to being allowed on the track. Open-faced and dirt bike helmets are not allowed.
b) Footwear must be no less than 8 inches in height and must be leather. Gloves must be worn, and while leather is preferred, combinations of nylon and leather are acceptable, if leather protects the fingers and palms. Gloves and boots must be of a fit so there is no gap between them and the leathers.
c) Clothing must be leather or Kevlar. All suits must be a one-piece garment for racing. Separate jackets and trousers are acceptable only if they zip or snap together to make one piece of clothing, pending approval of the Technical Inspector.
d) It is required that riders wear back protectors under their leather racing gear unless their racing gear is equipped with a back protector. In general, riders are encouraged to use any and all available protective material which does not restrict safe operation of their machine.
e) A rider must bring for Technical Inspection his machine; his helmet; his leathers; his boots; and his gloves. A Tech sticker must be displayed on the machine and rider’s helmet.
f) WERA Patches will be available at Tech and must be worn on leathers to be eligible for WERA purse monies.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so a 2-piece is cool if they zip/snap together pending approval of a Tech Inspector. thanks. do you race? ever gone down in a 2-piece? i kinda want a 1-piece anyway...and i found some crazy deals on both of those suits. $300 for the teknic and $330 for the fieldsheer.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I'm not a racer, just an occasional track day/street rider. I've been down in my old Chicane 2 piece at 85, it help up well, aside from where I managed to hit the inside of my knee, it blew out the spandex material there. Unfortunately, any inexpensive suit is going to have fabric in places like under your arms and inside your thighs.

You shouldn't have a problem at a track with a 2 piece suit, as long as it has a full waist zipper. I do 90% of my riding in full leathers, and I often stop someplace to grab lunch, take a break, whatever, so I spend a lot of time wearing my leathers. I like the two piece because I can zip the jacket off and relax, it's mostly just a comfort/convenience thing. It's nice at a track day to be able to zip off the jacket to keep cool and relax between sessions too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
k i JUST upgraded from a chicane to a FieldSheer Rufus suit. I love the fieldsheer!

the tecknic held up through 2 lowsides and 2 highsides and still running like a champ. no stitches broken or anything! go with the one piece!

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
so a 2-piece is cool if they zip/snap together pending approval of a Tech Inspector. thanks. do you race? ever gone down in a 2-piece? i kinda want a 1-piece anyway...and i found some crazy deals on both of those suits. $300 for the teknic and $330 for the fieldsheer.
$330 and under for a new suit?? Don't even think twice. Buy them both and sell the one that doesn't fit you perfect. (Or keep it as a spare)

--David

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeeah i saw that. thanks. i ended up buying the fieldsheer. i just ordered it a few hours ago

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well my fieldsheer revo sz 42 came in today. it's tiiiight and short. i think i'm going to have to exchange it...unless someone wants to buy it off me :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts