Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I crashed my fighter last Sunday (9/15) during a rather casual group ride. Weather was awesome and everything. Long story short I collided with an SUV coming off of an on ramp (planned to do a clover leaf). Everything happened pretty fast but I don't know that I crossed over the line or what (I think they were slowing to merge over in my lane) but I hit their right rear quarter panel and wiped out. I tumbled a few times before coming to rest on my back. I tried to stand up and get out of the road but immediately collapsed again in pain, but I got back up and hobbled out of traffic. I was only going maybe 30 mph when we collided, but apparently that was enough to fracture two ribs, bruise a lung, and bruise the F out of my hip (all on the left). My Icon Varient saved my head (nice crack in the back), my jacket saved my skin, gloves saved my hands, and race boots saved my feet and ankles. Imwas rushed to the trauma center and spent a night in the hospital for observation. I left the next day around noon.

I'm still out of work at least another week to heal. My bike was declared a total loss ($5000 in damage, value estimated at $4000), but I'm going to keep her and get a new Variant helmet. Waiting to get a call today to see what it'll cost me to keep my bike. They were gonna give me $3700 after my deductible, which I kindly refused, so they said they needed to call a junk yard to get me an estimate on what they'll give me to keep it. I'm hoping for a good chunk though.

Moral of the story: wear your gear at all times. ATGATT and all that jazz. I'm in some pain still even on my meds, especially when I twist, bend, etc, but I'd be miserable if I had to deal with road rash too. Too bad insurance only covers the helmet since legally it's required here. I'm sure I'll have enough money left over to replace my boots and jacket, and hopefully I can find a replacement Variant on a good sale, too.

Pic time.

Gear. I hope I can find another jacket like this one. Boots are scuffed, but not terrible. Gloves have one mark on one knuckle, so they're going to be used again.

Bike. My buddy push started it and rode it to a nearby friend's place. It won't take much to get her right again. Thank god I don't have fucking fairings to worry about. Ha ha.

Still won't start, so I gotta look into it when I get it back to my house. Needs new handlebars (protected the tank from damage, which is nice), new bolt for the rear sets, and repaint my tail. Headlight was scuffed as was the stator cover. Easy fixings. Nothing major broken.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Damn, glad you're alright. You have some shitty luck when it comes to people in SUVs. Hope you make a full recovery, bro.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Doesnt look bad damage at all, Glad you are ok!

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
glad you are ok , apparently shit can happen even to experienced riders like you.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Glad you're OK Brother. Rest up and get better!

ATGATT!

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Glad you're not worse, heal fast.

Also, good excuse for aftermarket case covers :D

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Norifumi Abe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It can happen to some of the best riders in the world. EX GP star killed on a scooter.
Yeah, it is just one of those things that you think it cannot happen to you once you are experienced but ouch , 30 mph and you took all that damage, makes you think a bit about how easy it is to get serisouly fucked up at any speed on a bike.,

·
Registered
629 Posts
Glad you alright bro! Did you learn anything from this one? Text me if you need something.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Accidents happen sometimes for the best riders- the most famous example:

"Mike Hailwood won nine motorcycle World Championships between 1961 and 1967, then turned to motor racing, becoming European Formula 2 Champion and began his Formula 1 career. In time he might well have added a Formula 1 World Championship to his list of achievements, but his motor racing career ended abruptly in 1974 when he crashed his McLaren on Germany's daunting Nurburgring.

Disabled by his leg injuries, he retired to New Zealand, where he quickly became bored, and by 1978, at the age of 38, he was back at the Isle of Man, the scene of so many of his earlier triumphs, not only to race bikes once again but to win. His victorious return to 'The Island' has been described as one of the most emotional moments of 20th century sport.

Following his retirement from motor sport, in late 1979 Hailwood established a Honda-based retail motorcycle dealership in Birmingham (UK) named Hailwood and Gould, in partnership with former-racer Rodney Gould.

On March 21, 1981, Hailwood set off in his Rover SD1 with his children Michelle and David to collect some fish and chips. As they returned near their home in Tanworth-in-Arden, a truck made an illegal turn, and their car collided with it. Michelle, aged nine, was killed instantly. Mike and David were taken to hospital, where Mike died two days later from severe internal injuries. He was 40 years old. David survived with minor injuries. The truck driver was fined £100."

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone. The bike is relatively in good shape. The cop that handed me my "improper lane change" ticket tried to badger me when I told him I was only going maybe 30 mph when we collided. Look at the frigging bike and the fact I'm not hurt worse; I couldn't have been going any faster. God, cops are so awesome. Turns out I never even had a one on one to give a statement, so I'm fighting it in court, no matter how minor the infraction I was accused of. The cop asked how fast I was going as I was laying on a gurney in a neck brace in the trauma center with a ticket in his hand already filled out.

As for the meds, the morphine didn't do a lot for me. Took the edge off a little, but didn't perform as I was hoping. This was my first time getting morphine, too, but apparently it doesn't work the same for everyone. Percacet was my friend though. Unfortunately a fee days after being home I over did it (feeling good on drugs) and I think I re-fractured my ribs. It was the worst pain I've ever felt, holy crap. So easy peasy now even when I'm feeling well. I don't wanna be out of work longer than I have to (thank god my job offers short term disability).

Nick, yes, I'd like a replacement of this same jacket. It made me look and feel like a superstar.

Venom, yes, shit happens to us all. Live and learn and keep riding despite the feelings of your sibling and other family members. No I will not stop riding. I'm happy my wife knows it's pointless to ask or imply I should give up riding, despite the mental anguish I've put her through with my debacles.

Jon (crescent), shoot me a text. My phone was on my hip when I ate shit, so it is broken and I lost all of my more recent contacts. I'm using my old Droid phone until I get my insurance money to replace my old phone (already have one on hold through my brother).

Speaking of insurance. Looks like I'll get a check for $2800 to keep the bike. Not as much as I was hoping, but it will fix things up like "new" again. Gotta take my title in to the insurance place and let them make a copy. They said I'd keep a clear title. ?? I guess it's not considered a salvaged bike since it never left my possession. I don't know. Doesn't matter. She will be mine forever.

·
Official n00b
17,453 Posts
jeff IS spam.

im convinced that hes a bot program, that when questioned has a real person come on to defend him...self.
I'm 99.9999% sure you're right about this. :lol: For fucks sake he posted quotes in LarryJ's most recent accident thread.

Accidents happen sometimes for the best riders- the most famous example:

"Mike Hailwood won nine motorcycle World Championships between 1961 and 1967, then turned to motor racing, becoming European Formula 2 Champion and began his Formula 1 career. In time he might well have added a Formula 1 World Championship to his list of achievements, but his motor racing career ended abruptly in 1974 when he crashed his McLaren on Germany's daunting Nurburgring.

Disabled by his leg injuries, he retired to New Zealand, where he quickly became bored, and by 1978, at the age of 38, he was back at the Isle of Man, the scene of so many of his earlier triumphs, not only to race bikes once again but to win. His victorious return to 'The Island' has been described as one of the most emotional moments of 20th century sport.

Following his retirement from motor sport, in late 1979 Hailwood established a Honda-based retail motorcycle dealership in Birmingham (UK) named Hailwood and Gould, in partnership with former-racer Rodney Gould.

On March 21, 1981, Hailwood set off in his Rover SD1 with his children Michelle and David to collect some fish and chips. As they returned near their home in Tanworth-in-Arden, a truck made an illegal turn, and their car collided with it. Michelle, aged nine, was killed instantly. Mike and David were taken to hospital, where Mike died two days later from severe internal injuries. He was 40 years old. David survived with minor injuries. The truck driver was fined £100."
Glad you're okay. Heal up soon and get back on the ZZR :D

·
Registered
684 Posts
As for the meds, the morphine didn't do a lot for me. Took the edge off a little, but didn't perform as I was hoping.
They didn't give you enough. Had Morphine drip post-op, and it was awesome. seriously.

glad you are ok, and the bike is relatively ok. heal up rider!

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm 99.9999% sure you're right about this. :lol: For fucks sake he posted quotes in LarryJ's most recent accident thread.
Yeah, I was gonna comment on that, but Jeff has proven he does not take a hint, nor does he take a direct GTFO. He also resists straight up being ignored. I'm not sure what else can be done. He has to be a robot. Any normal human in this situation would just say "get well soon", or the like.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Thanks everyone. The bike is relatively in good shape. The cop that handed me my "improper lane change" ticket tried to badger me when I told him I was only going maybe 30 mph when we collided. Look at the frigging bike and the fact I'm not hurt worse; I couldn't have been going any faster. God, cops are so awesome. Turns out I never even had a one on one to give a statement, so I'm fighting it in court, no matter how minor the infraction I was accused of. The cop asked how fast I was going as I was laying on a gurney in a neck brace in the trauma center with a ticket in his hand already filled out.

As for the meds, the morphine didn't do a lot for me. Took the edge off a little, but didn't perform as I was hoping. This was my first time getting morphine, too, but apparently it doesn't work the same for everyone. Percacet was my friend though. Unfortunately a fee days after being home I over did it (feeling good on drugs) and I think I re-fractured my ribs. It was the worst pain I've ever felt, holy crap. So easy peasy now even when I'm feeling well. I don't wanna be out of work longer than I have to (thank god my job offers short term disability).

Nick, yes, I'd like a replacement of this same jacket. It made me look and feel like a superstar.

Venom, yes, shit happens to us all. Live and learn and keep riding despite the feelings of your sibling and other family members. No I will not stop riding. I'm happy my wife knows it's pointless to ask or imply I should give up riding, despite the mental anguish I've put her through with my debacles.

Jon (crescent), shoot me a text. My phone was on my hip when I ate shit, so it is broken and I lost all of my more recent contacts. I'm using my old Droid phone until I get my insurance money to replace my old phone (already have one on hold through my brother).

Speaking of insurance. Looks like I'll get a check for $2800 to keep the bike. Not as much as I was hoping, but it will fix things up like "new" again. Gotta take my title in to the insurance place and let them make a copy. They said I'd keep a clear title. ?? I guess it's not considered a salvaged bike since it never left my possession. I don't know. Doesn't matter. She will be mine forever.
Get better soon man, any time any of us goes down it hits to town, I consider most of you mofos the closest I come to a bike club since I don't beleive in such things , any time one of us goes missing or reports a crash it makes me sad for the person and it makes me wonder if I am next, if I will get up and live to ride another day.

Then I take a look at Pepper and say "fuck it" and once I am on that red beast all is well :D

do get better and keep posts about your progress.

And about the cop, yeah that is a pretty fucked up thing to do to come and give you a ticket after you went down, it reminds me of that one time my rx7 cought fire driving to Orlando and I called the cops by pressing the emergency button on the side of the road, luckily a truck driver stopped and saved my car by giving me a fire extinguisher,(I could kiss the guy if I see him again) finally the FHP shows up and asks me why I called the cops , I showed him that my car caught fire and he says "so?" I told him that they carry extinguishers and I was hopping someone would come and help me, asked me for my driver license before he asked me if could help me with anything, went to run it on his computer to make sure I did not have a warrant and that it was not suspended came back handed me the license and left , not one word of sympathy from him .

I like most cops but there are a few out there that are royal dicks, I have so many stories that it is not even funny.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Glad u came away without more serious injuries. I am now a ATGATT after being a dumb kid and lowsiding my old zx7 around 60 in a t-shirt. I was in the same boat as u with morphine, did almost nothing even in an IV drip. Fentanyl did the trick though. At least enough to let them clean the rocks out of me. :(

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 30 Posts