Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought an '89 zx-6 track bike from a friend of mine, and it has no Air filters, the carbs are totally open. The intake cones are too tight together to put on a pod style filter, somi'm wondering... Is there some sort of small filter available that I can put over each intake cone individually? Should I try to make some sort of filter that goes inside of the cones? I'm not sure if the bike has a tip-over sensor or not, so I'm mostly concerned with sucking in some dust if I put her down.

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I would find the original airbox for it and add one oiled foam air filter for all of the carbs.

Then you probably need to spend a lot of time replacing rubber parts, synching the carbs and experimenting with different jets and exhaust changes to get it to run the best, either near redline all the time for track use, or from idle to 80 mph for street use. If you want to spend more for more self-adjusting jetting, check out the parts available from Dial-a-Jet.

Below is a thread with some more ideas:
-
-
1990 zx600 ninja carb issues : Kawasaki ZX Forums: Kawasaki Ninja Forum
-
-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The stock airbox won't fit, no way. Whoever installed the carbs had to take tin snips to the sides of the intake cones to even fit the carbs on lol. They are touching each other even with the trim to the cones

·
Registered
6,000 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is perfect. Thanks for the link! Obviously gonna have to mod that idea a bit, and take the tin snips to the intake cones again, but that's a great starting point! Thanks for the link! I'll rep when I can, brother!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts