Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a akra on my bike and was looking into getting a bmc air filter just for a little bit more kick. Will I need a pc? Or will it run fine without one? And is it worth the 78 bucks

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
bmc worth it? nah
stock filter is actually very good
a PC will help, but remember a good map will be even better

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bmc worth it? nah
stock filter is actually very good
a PC will help, but remember a good map will be even better
Thank you for the reply. What about a X-Tre?

·
Registered
67 Posts
X-TRE is a great mod, highly recommend it. Really opened my bike up. You can definitely feel more power mid-high end. Now I can get up to about 84 mph in first gear lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
X-TRE is a great mod, highly recommend it. Really opened my bike up. You can definitely feel more power mid-high end. Now I can get up to about 84 mph in first gear lol
Some people say just to get a power commander but that seems like a lot more work. I just want to make sure it would be worth the 130 bucks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just ordered my BMC Filter and Power Commander.. will be installing this week. Guess I'll post how the results come out, even though the true test won't be until after I get a dyno tune.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone else with the X-Tre? and yeah that would be cool to see how noticeable it is for you.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Some people say just to get a power commander but that seems like a lot more work. I just want to make sure it would be worth the 130 bucks.
X-TRE and Power commander are different products entirely. Both are also plug n play. Once the Tank is up it shouldn't take more than 30mins to get everything connected and buttoned up. Your Money will be better spent on the XTRE, just go to the Healtech website and read up about it so you understand what it does. I have an 08-ZX6R and have the XTRE, it's def a worthy mod.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
X-TRE and Power commander are different products entirely. Both are also plug n play. Once the Tank is up it shouldn't take more than 30mins to get everything connected and buttoned up. Your Money will be better spent on the XTRE, just go to the Healtech website and read up about it so you understand what it does. I have an 08-ZX6R and have the XTRE, it's def a worthy mod.
I know they can be used separately or together. And thank you for the info, I will only be buying one and the X-Tre is just a cheaper option that seems to improve the bikes power throughout. The Power commander seems like a lot of work meaning if I were to get it costumed tuned and what not. I really am debating because the decision is equally split, some say one is better and others say they like the other one.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I know they can be used separately or together. And thank you for the info, I will only be buying one and the X-Tre is just a cheaper option that seems to improve the bikes power throughout. The Power commander seems like a lot of work meaning if I were to get it costumed tuned and what not. I really am debating because the decision is equally split, some say one is better and others say they like the other one.
A power command isn't needed for a slip-on and you prob aren't going to gain any HP installing one. If you had a full system then it would be a different story. So in my opinion it's a waste of 260.00, X-TRE on the other hand is 114.00 and can be felt throughout the mid range and top end. If lare on down the road you feel like you may want some aftermarket headers then that would be the time to start looking at Power Commanders and tuners in the area who can tune. A Power command is a piggy back fuel control module, while the XTRE is a Timing Retard Eliminator, you don't need to tune the XTRE. Only reason I said to look it up on the website is to better educate yourself on the products so YOU can make a sound decision on what you want besides what people are telling you.

So to answer your original post, Yes it will run fine with the filter/Slip-on combo without a PCV/tune. But if you want a bit more HP, the XTRE is the way to go. Air Filter and a Power Commander aren't going to yield the same results and will cost you more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A power command isn't needed for a slip-on and you prob aren't going to gain any HP installing one. If you had a full system then it would be a different story. So in my opinion it's a waste of 260.00, X-TRE on the other hand is 114.00 and can be felt throughout the mid range and top end. If lare on down the road you feel like you may want some aftermarket headers then that would be the time to start looking at Power Commanders and tuners in the area who can tune. A Power command is a piggy back fuel control module, while the XTRE is a Timing Retard Eliminator, you don't need to tune the XTRE. Only reason I said to look it up on the website is to better educate yourself on the products so YOU can make a sound decision on what you want besides what people are telling you.

So to answer your original post, Yes it will run fine with the filter/Slip-on combo without a PCV/tune. But if you want a bit more HP, the XTRE is the way to go. Air Filter and a Power Commander aren't going to yield the same results and will cost you more.
Thank you again and I went ahead and read the information on their website again. This definitely has answered my question and ill be looking into buying one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
X-TRE + Ivans blockoff + R1 throttle tube + M4GP = the win.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not gonna get into a debate about this, but I'm running an M4 SS slipon on my bike and just put my PCV in yesterday.. and the difference was extremely noticeable. Bairly anymore backfiring on dowshifting, throttle response gain was significant at low RPMs, and got rid of any and all surging throughout all the gears. As far as making the bike faster, that will have to wait until I put my BMC filter on in a few days and then bring it to get dyno tuned. Will post results of my dyno sheet when the time comes.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The recurring theme seems to be that our stock air filter is more than adequate and the BMC air filter isn't worth it. Anyone care to set me straight on this? I'll be putting on a leo slip on + link pipe and the PCV whenev I get home and would def get a new filter if it offered more gains.

Also, what other block-offs are offered? And who has a good hook up on servo eliminators?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts