Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a standard radar detector, and piggybacked some LEDs off of the stock display on a 1.5 foot wire band. Initially I installed it in the intake track, but it was wayyy restrictive and I could definitely tell the power loss. Also it was not very open to air and had a narrow range to see radar (if ferrings block radar?)

Second I tried mounting it in the front centered above the front fender. I increased the preload so the fork would not let the fender smash the detector, then just ran the wires up above the gauges. I am very happy with it. Now all I have to do is make the speaker louder, or somehow helmet mounted because it points down and I can only hear it stopped at idle. The LEDs are bright enough to grab your attension at night, but you 1/2 have to be looking for them during the day if you are just watching the road, you'd see them if you were checking the gauges though.

So far its better to me than the stem mounted ones that sit right in the way of everything. It definitely worked a few times today allerting me of police that were just cruising around, I haven't tested it in any speed traps yet though, we'll have to see tonight (there are always traps in front of my place across from a college campus where it goes from 55 ro 30 to 55 and there are tons of people walking around 24-7)

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
very nice - ive been considering myself how to mount one of those on my bike.

the only problem is that they aren't guaranteed to work. My friend was driving his WRX and got pulled over because the cop was waiting behind a wall with his radar turned off. The second my friend drove past, he turned the radar on and pulled him over.

Just be careful....no guarantees of any thing.

·
Registered
640 Posts
^where did you get those pics?

I'm not sure if i'm ready to take apart my $300 radar detector yet...... maybe the old POS one though

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Nice...I like it.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
rofl...did you honestly just write "week" as "we3k"?

lol i love seeing people's MS paint skills. always makes me laugh :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mspaint ftw

the pics are from google earth

tested it today and it def works, better than i would have thought.

next is an LED that lights up my rear brake reservoir when the lights go on to notify others i am with behind me of wtf is going on.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
I'd never do that for one reason. My suspension is set up to corner and ride, not to not smash things I place directly in the path of my suspension travel. I'd rather get a speeding ticket than have my bike handle like piss.

Originally posted by FightingFalcon
rofl...did you honestly just write "week" as "we3k"? :D
He also wrote 'traps' as 'trapps'...hmm...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by dragknt
I'd never do that for one reason. My suspension is set up to corner and ride, not to not smash things I place directly in the path of my suspension travel. I'd rather get a speeding ticket than have my bike handle like piss.

He also wrote 'traps' as 'trapps'...hmm...
an 05 with a 145# rider with 3/4" travel taken out by way of preload and compression damping will handle better than a perfect setup for an 03. so you might want to hold off on this mod if you think it would make your 03 handle like piss.

and if i went to the track i'm sure I would leave the detector on.

*internet doorslam sound*

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by mikebowyer

an 05 with a 145# rider with 3/4" travel taken out by way of preload and compression damping will handle better than a perfect setup for an 03. so you might want to hold off on this mod if you think it would make your 03 handle like piss.

and if i went to the track i'm sure I would leave the detector on.

*internet doorslam sound*
For one, your 'facts' are bullshit. My huffy would handle better than any bike with 3/4" of travel taken out on top of the existing sag by preload and compression damping. First off, a motorcycle is supposed to have a certain percentage of it's total travel as sag, just FYI, no more and no less. Taking an additional 3/4" out of your existing travel fucks up the first step to a properly set up suspension, you're reducing your sag and fucking your rold holding, not to mention how fucked up the balance between front and rear would be without tooling around and fucking the rear up too.

You'd take it off and set up your suspension if you were going to the track? I bet you're one of those riders who also says, "I'll start wearing gear if I go to the track."

Well, when you lowside because you took a corner at half lean and there wasn't enough give in your front end to absorb the pebble you ran over, don't expect sympathy. Try not to lose your flipflops, but your helmet will be a gonner, hooked to the side of your bike. But at least you'll know there won't be any cops around to call you in to the paramedics.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have never started a bike without a jacket / helmet / gloves / boots.

i have a $729 helmet and a $350 jacket that i have worn every time my clutch has been out, EVER. and i wear $200 sidi boots any time I am not commuting. the only time I have ever gotten pulled over, i had sidi boots on, and the girl on the back even had an icon jacket and a helmet and motorcycle gloves.

the 3/4 inch was taken out of the ENTIRE travel, not just the sag. take Zip-ties, put them around the forks, set the preload / compression damping high, ride over bumps, see where they go down to, then reduce the preload and compression damping until you get them to where you want. I didn't just sit on the bike and turn the preload screws down until my bike lifted 3/4 inch.

so basically you are completely wrong because you don't know what is going on in this situation.

oh and i wear icon kevlar pants any time i am riding harder than normal and its not 90 degrees out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
please apologise or remove your thread.

i make $7/hr so you could imagine the sacrafices i make with this much invested in gear. i work full time and go to school (purdue mechanical engineering) full time.

do you feel big when you are on the internet?

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,869 Posts
Originally posted by mikebowyer
please apologise or remove your thread.

i make $7/hr so you could imagine the sacrafices i make with this much invested in gear. i work full time and go to school (purdue mechanical engineering) full time.

do you feel big when you are on the internet?
Are you fucking kidding me? All I said was I wouldn't do it because taking the suspension out of proper sag fucks it up, which is true. You were the one getting all flustered with your panties in a twist, and all I did was reply in kind.

Maybe they don't teach reading comprehension at Purdue, as hard as that is to imagine. If you read my post, I specifically state the difference between how what your doing affects travel, and how it affects sag. Any change to the preload of the forks will change your sag. All my original comment was saying is that you shouldn't adjust your SUSPENSION to mount a RADAR DETECTOR. While mounting the detector in the intake was brilliant, definately Purdue material, mounting it in the path of the suspension travel is not a whole lot better of an idea, especially when you have to wack out your suspension to do it. Why not screw it into your windscreen, or if you don't want to drill that, just get some suction cup mounts and use adhesive to attach them to the inside of the windscreen.

Do I feel big on the internet? No, of course not. But if someone has a stupid fucking idea, I'll tell them when they ask for oppinions, in person or not.

EDIT:
To be fair, I do appreciate the sacrifices made for good gear. While $7xx may be a bit excessive for a helmet when you're on a budget (you can get the same quality for 4xx or 5xx that's just less flashy), I understand completely. Back when I had my first bike I was working at $8/hr and going to school full time as well. I know how much it sucks. The only reason I made the comment about your gear is because of how 'off' and of a stereotypical squidly mentality it seems to me that you'd mess up your suspension to mount a radar detector. Which is why I said, I'd rather get a speeding ticket than mess up my suspension.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.