Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:
One week experience and I have passed the MSF course.

Problem:
Help in making turns. Say your going an average 50mph in 4th gear and you come up to a regular 90* right hand turn (you know its clear and you have the green light).

How far ahead should I start breaking? and What speed should I drop down to and in what gear when taking the turn?

Another question (kind of a "squid" question) but when accelerating quickly is it fine to not close the throttle when shifting gears? Because I've been watching videos on StreetFire and UpOnOne and I don't see how they shift gears so fast unless they do keep the throttle open.

Thanks.

ps Just to note, my gear came in since the pictures have been taken.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You will probably be able to get more experienced advice than mine, I have only been riding about a month now, but from my experience, at 50mph you should only be in second gear... If it is a turn, and you know you have the green light and it is clear... take another look. these bikes are invisible to cagers.. back to your question, turning I would not actually use the brakes until very close if at all. you should stay in second gear slow down ( give yourself time to stop for that car that didn't see you and pulled out in front of you) then accelerate through the turn.. nice and easy

The throttle question no you don't close the throttle all the way, just back it off.. you want to shift like you do a car balance the throttle, and clutch to get a nice smooth shift. Once again I am only speaking from what I have dealt with other riders will have other opinions.. the main thing is know your bike, what it is going to do then watch out and predict that everyone else is not going to see you because they won't

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been riding for about 2 years now and this is what I do.

You pretty much have to let off the throttle while shifting if your using the clutch, otherwise the engine will rev higher tan need for the next gear, since every higher gear drops the engine down in rpm's for that specific speed. If your accelerating hard then the engine probably doesn't have time to slow down fast enough to warrant a throttle blip between shifts. I wouls say under hard accel it's something like this (for me anyways).

When I reach the redline it's;

1. Throttle back quick

2. Quickly bring the clutch in

3. Gear Up

4. Feeding the clutch out moderatly fast while throttling up

All this takes place probably in about 8/10ths of a second

I don't advocate this method, but I usauly don't even use the clutch while accelerating hard, I just match the rpms while throttling back to shift up.

Comments Welcome.

Aaron

·
Registered
381 Posts
dude, fuck that. hit the turn going 90 and drop a knee! [:M91] (just kidding) anyways, try not to "chop" the throttle when you shift. just roll off of it quickly and shift smoothly. as for the turn, enter with a speed you are comfortable with. there is no use in trying to take every turn like a fucking ama racer (unless you can). i usually like to hit turns in 2nd gear. 2nd gear gives you a lot of room to zoom out of a nice arc. be careful and have fun man! also, you picked a good color!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O yeah, once you go black theres no going back! haha

Thanks for the input everyone, now lets hope the weather cooperates so I can get some riding in to practice.

By any chance, anyone from Va specifically the Norfolk/Va beach area?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Originally posted by rockyourjon

Problem:
Help in making turns. Say your going an average 50mph in 4th gear and you come up to a regular 90* right hand turn (you know its clear and you have the green light).

How far ahead should I start breaking? and What speed should I drop down to and in what gear when taking the turn?
This question is impossible to answer without a lot more information about the corner; in other words, the answer varies greatly depending on the situation.

At normal right turns at intersections on the green light, I would guess in the range of 5-20 mph is appropriate. 5 is probably too slow, and 20 is probably too fast, but it really depends. Intersections are not the place to be cornering hard, keep that stuff to the back roads for sure.

As for breaking, when I'm in an area with other cars and such I like to make sure I save myself a good reserve of my brakes, in case I need them; so, try stopping at half your maximum braking force, or one-quarter, or something like that. That way, if something bad happens, you have plenty more brake left. Also, cagers might not see you brake, and can't stop as fast as you can, and you don't want one of them slamming you from the rear. :)

Also, someone mentioned that you should be in second gear at 50 mph; I'd hesitate to make a blanket statement like that. At 50 mph, first or second (depending on the bike and the gearing) will be fastest, but I sure as hell wouldn't be crusing around town at 50 mph in second. I ride pretty easy in town, and if I was going 50 I'd probably be in 5th gear.

I'm not trying to bust balls here, just pointing out that there are no easy blanket rules for situations (what gear to be in, how fast to corner, etc).

Another question (kind of a "squid" question) but when accelerating quickly is it fine to not close the throttle when shifting gears? Because I've been watching videos on StreetFire and UpOnOne and I don't see how they shift gears so fast unless they do keep the throttle open.
First, decide if you're going to shift with or without the clutch. With is less wear on the transmission, but dogboxes are pretty tough so if you shift smoothly without the clutch you're not going to break anything. If you're using the clutch, you absolutely need to lift, or else your engine speed will skyrocket the second you unload it. If you're not using the clutch, try this: Lightly preload the shifter with your foot while accelerating, and then when you want to shift press harder while simultaneously lifting off the throttle "some." You absolutely do not need to come all the way off, probably around 25% less than you were when you were accelerating. The reason you do this is to unload the dogs so that you can slip into the next gear smoothly.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Also, someone mentioned that you should be in second gear at 50 mph; I'd hesitate to make a blanket statement like that. At 50 mph, first or second (depending on the bike and the gearing) will be fastest, but I sure as hell wouldn't be crusing around town at 50 mph in second. I ride pretty easy in town, and if I was going 50 I'd probably be in 5th gear.
Okay you can go to a higher gear, but here are the questions I have about this. #1 at 50 mph in 2nd I am only hitting around 6000 rpm, enough to accelerate to get out of danger if needed, enough to pass and enough to allow the engine to do some of the braking for me. In 5th gear you will have a lot of lag since you will only be running about 2k rpms or so. This would be like doing 25-30 in a car in 5th gear. I do ride easy in town as well. If second is too torquey for you then go up to third, but I would not go any higher than that for easy cruising at 50.... 3rd on my zx6 @ 110 mph is only pushing 11000 rpms it doesn't redline til 14, so 2nd or 3rd would still be my advice for 50 mph

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hey Rock, congrats on the bike. I'm in Roanoke, over on the west side of VA, about 4 hours away from you. You'll learn tons of good info on this forum. Ride safe, take it slow, and your riding skills will come in time. Stick around and enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
RockyourJon- Where in Va Beach you located?? Always good to see a new rider in my area asking the RIGHT questions. Also GOOD choice for your first bike! I thought all the guys in the area were jumping straight into liter bikes (met two guys last week who for their first bikes they bough MATCHING Busas (kinda brokeback sounding to me) and one of them nearly dropped it in the parking lot talking to me...).

Most of your questions were already answered; but give you some heads up for braking. Its perhaps the most important skill to learn and attempt to master. Practice it much as you can. But when coming to a stop light/sign and slowig down I just tap the brakes to let anyone know that I'm slowing down and I downshift to save my brakes. Just like driving a car you do not want to put pressure on your brakes all the time so get a feel for it. After a few weeks of riding on your bike you'll get to know the feeling.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Riding a bike is all about what you are comfortable with. Nothing else matters, except for the car about to run the red light and clean you up in the intersection...

When riding around town, I rarely rev the engine over 5,500rpm, and I always get into 6th gear whenever I've finished accelerating, even when I'm doing less than 40mph.

There's no need to rev the piss out of the engine if you don't need to.

Brake at a rate you're comfortable with, corner at a speed you're comfortable with, and you'll be happy. No-one can tell you what your comfort level is, and you'll only find it yourself with a bit of experience. Just take everything easy to start with and you'll realise what you can or can't do, and what you are comfortable with or not.

kpt4321 gave some good advice about approximate speeds, etc.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wondering why my gas was getting used so fast. I've kept my RPMs up way to high for just cruising around town. I don't think I even went past 4th gear the first week besides when I hopped onto the expressway. Its hard learning when you don't have anyone there to guide you.

Dalarast: I'm around the Lynnhaven area. If you haven't heard already, there's going to be a car show at ODU on March 25th. link: http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124684 Also, if you ever know of any mellow group rides that you know a newb rider can participate in, pm me.

Thanks every for the advice!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Originally posted by NinjaMike

In 5th gear you will have a lot of lag since you will only be running about 2k rpms or so. This would be like doing 25-30 in a car in 5th gear. I do ride easy in town as well. If second is too torquey for you then go up to third, but I would not go any higher than that for easy cruising at 50.... 3rd on my zx6 @ 110 mph is only pushing 11000 rpms it doesn't redline til 14, so 2nd or 3rd would still be my advice for 50 mph
It sounds like the gearing on your bike is DRASTICALLY different than mine, so that explains the different gear selection.

50 mph in 5th on my '05 ZZR (and therefore on any 00-02 6R as well) is about 4500 rpm, which gives the bike plenty of power to get out of its own way. I would never cruise in 2nd at 50, unless I was on the track. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was just looking at some of my numbers earlier, and paying more attention to the rpm' Often I do stay in 2nd gear around town. but occasionally I will take it to 3rd to drop the rpms. My earlier post was off by about 2k rpms. srry smoking crack I guess[8D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.