Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

finally, got my turbo zx9 running

34K views 67 replies 11 participants last post by  devilzx9 
#1 ·
#6 ·
i will go out to the track for sure, i mainly got that to keep the front end down, I saw kawi9's video and i really dont care for 5th gear power wheelies

I stopped by the only other guys house in town that has a turbo bike, i had planned on being faster than him but I stop by and he is tearing his bike apart, busa with pistons rods, upgraded trans, looks like he's going for bigger numbers this year, he's still running the mr turbo setup with the rajay, hopefully that holds him back a little, plus my weight advantage

#8 ·
the red can under the engine is the oil filter, its a washable stainless mesh element, the hoses are the feed and return

as for engine, just lower compression je pistons and a cometic mls head gasket, as for power its hard to say, people have made almost 300 on that turbo in a car at over 20psi but i'm not gonna turn it up that much, i'll get it to the dyno once its broke in and tuned

#10 ·
Hi Maliboost,

I come back to vaccation. I'm glad to hear you have started your ZX9R Turbo :cheers-004:. Nice work. Have you do a test ride ? Any news ? Give me some news. Thanks

#12 ·
In turbo project, the money is always the problem. I know :(. Give me some news when you test your bike.

#14 ·
took it out tonight, verdict is lean lean lean, need to add some fuel, feels really good though, I have an oil leak though from my return line that I have to fix, I'm going to have to change the exhaust or relearn how to ride this thing, i scraped it on the ground around a corner, no fun

I went with 135 jets, seems good at cruise but after the boost gets more than a few pounds it creeps into the 14-15:1 and i have to let off, gonna chect to see if my regulator is rising, then step up the main jets if it is

#17 ·
The tunning begin ;)

You told you are lean with 135 main jet with only few psi boost ??? Have you the main jet ''dynojet'' or Factory Keihin main jet ? Because, they don't have the same size with the same number.

Have you a pics of the pitot tube setup ?

Your boost start at what rpm ?

#18 ·
they are aftermarket jets, got them from the honda shop, my pitot is almost like yours, 8mm id tube with close to an 8mm hole

boost seems like it starts somewhere around 6, not really sure, wasnt paying too much attention to the tach, moreso the wideband

#19 ·
I'm not sure if i understand right. Pitot tube 8mm with 4mm hole ? I like to see your setup pitot. Post me a pic when you have the time.

Try with bigger main jet and check if you are lean when the boost start. If the A/F is better, continue in this way. But i'm not sure if is the reason your are lean ?

The fuel pressure up when the boost start ?

#20 ·
i need to hook my regulator to the air compressor and see if it rises, i cant see my fuel gauge on the bike

pitot is an 8mm inside diameter tube with about a 6mm hole, i'm wondering if i'm losing velocity going passed the pitot due to my 2.5 inch charge piping

i'm on the hunt for jets, local dealer is ordering some to replenish their stock but i want them tomorrow so i might have to travel

#24 ·
i need to hook my regulator to the air compressor and see if it rises, i cant see my fuel gauge on the bike

pitot is an 8mm inside diameter tube with about a 6mm hole, i'm wondering if i'm losing velocity going passed the pitot due to my 2.5 inch charge piping

i'm on the hunt for jets, local dealer is ordering some to replenish their stock but i want them tomorrow so i might have to travel

If you hook the compressor air to the fuel regulator don't up the pressure fuel up to 4.9psi on the idle or stop motor, because the needle fuel can't close after this pressure and the fuel go into your motor. I suggest you to unplug the gauge on the fuel pressure and relocate the gauge in a place you can see when you run.

You are like me when i started to tune my turbo bike. I have only boost gauge and cheap A/F (not Wideband) and i don't succes. It's important to see the gauges when you tunnning without datalog. The minimum gauges you need when you tunning are Wideband A/F, boost gauge, fuel pressure gauge. But I have more gauges.... check on the pic. I identify all my gauges.

#23 ·
I think the BOV is wrong connection. Could you tell me if the blue hose on the BOV hook to the plenum ?

#28 ·
I pluged my fuel pressure gauge with autometer braided ss hose with an fittings. But, i turst injected fuel pressure rubbert hose for connect the fuel gauge. They are made for +150psi. The fuel pressure is only 13-14 psi at 10 psi boost and it's low cost. If you don't confortable running wiht the gauge in the cockpit. You can replace the gauge on the reg after tuned.

This is the hose i have

Auto Meter

#29 ·
i figured the regulator should rise to stay even with float bowl pressure, this is why i hooked it in to the pitot pressure, how much more pitot pressure do you see than plenum pressure? i'm running 2.5 psi base pressure with a 1:1 rise, what is your base?

#30 ·
My pitot pressure is around 1,5 psi than the plenum and i set my fuel pressure (1:1) to 2,5 psi. I understand your reasoning, but i never tested to hooked the fuel pressure to the pitot tube. I don't know if it's will work good ? Let me know if it's work good.

#31 ·
what i did was run each side of the pitot into a t fitting, goes straight through the t to the bowls, the 90 degree turns in the t face eachother and meet in the middle with another t, the output from that goes to my reg, i didnt want to draw off one side of the pitot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.