Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried my first wheelie today and was actually sucessful.:D I powered-up in first from like 8K rpms. After the first time I got up I noticed more and more my tendency to lean forward on the bike as the nose started to lift. I guess I just need to grow some larger testicles and lean back ;) what a rush!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Been doing 1st geasr wheelie a a while now but yesterday was my first time doing it in 2nd gear. I go about 40 mph, hit about 10-11k rpms and clutch it. It goes right up. You are going way faster. I just need to find my BP.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't ride it out...I keep either leaning forward or backing off the throttle too much.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
You'll catch on.. it takes practice!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Originally posted by XBones
I can't ride it out...I keep either leaning forward or backing off the throttle too much.
I remember my first wheelie, and I was scared just like you (as much as we keep quiet about it)...

Just try to get it by riding a wheelie in 1st gear, then you switch to 2nd... 3rd.... 4th....

Be careful with the gas. I know that now, when the front wheel gets up 30 cm, you have a feeling that it's much higher, but just try to release the gas for just a little (to keep the bike in air).
You'll get it fast, but be careful.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
check youtube for "wheelies superbike".

its a great set of instructions from a stunting dvd that came with superbike mag a couple years. I have the dvd (somewhere).

It also went over stoppies and burnouts (though i fail to see why one would need a video to learn how to do a burnout)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
the key to riding out out longer is to get it up higher and then keep a stiff wrist so you find the balance point. When it makes you piss your pants cause you feel like youre floating, thats the balance point.

Just keep that foot near the rear brake and practice in a big empty lot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually tried to clutch it up yesterday to get to the BP without having to haul ass....it was hit or miss. I would roll at around 25mph in first and with one finger pull in the clutch 1/2 way, rev it to like 13000rpms and dump it. Two of the times I tried it came right up and felt effortless but the other times I was just a foot off the ground, accelerating hard. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing it that way. You'll end up looping it. Try 2nd gear clutch. Go about 40 mph, pull the clutch in, rev it to like 11k. Should go up and way more controllable then 1st gear.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Dont dump the clutch. You can loop it even in second that way. you should release the clutch fast but dont just release the lever and let it snap.

Also realize that clutching up wheelies is REALLY hard on your transmission and sprockets. Better go with steel sprockets and change your lube alot.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Despite the advice from this thread, I went out to a parking lot near my place and practice 1st gear clutch-ups for like 45min. I have read a lot about clutching up and the "stunters" claim it is the only way to go. After a good bit of practice I realize...this is way more controllable and is much easier than powering up. I can ride it out much longer and i know when the front is coming up rather than guessing with the power-up. Also, you aren't going nearly as fast and you get to the BP much quicker...I'll post some pics when I get them
Just my 2 cents

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
xbones, u got it man. still watch those 1st gear wheeli's. they're not exactly dangerous but for peeps just learning it can be. now where's them pics?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They're comin'....i've got another thread going...but I'll ask here anyway...I'm scraping the top of the front fender underneath the nose when I come down...anyway to stiffen up those forks to prevent this?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
do u have it lowered? if so its gonna happen.if not then u have adjustment on top of each fork and at the bottom. turn'm to h (hard) some. do a search on suspension adjustment. anothr thing to, when u start coming down u need to gas it some and that will let it come down smoother. when i had mine lowered it would hit the front from wheelis and endo's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.