Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im sure this has been posted. Unfortunately i cant find any posts on it. my problem is i bought a 05 Kawasaki ZX6R and the guy ran it at the track, lost his key. well he ran it to a small switch. i leave my bike outside my house when its not in the garage. not a good idea without the key. anyways i know i could buy the ignition but i believe he cut the connector piece that you hook the actual key and ignition up to so can anyone please help and guide me through how to replace it and find the connector so i can put a new switch back in it? thank you for any help whatsoever!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think this should help. How to Wire a Motorcycle Ignition . Between that a service manual and a parts diagram, you should be able to piece this together.

It's obviously, too late here, but this is a great example of why you don't want to just go around cutting wires off. The last guy was fine like this, but now you're inheriting a bike that's been disfigured and having to figure this out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this should help. How to Wire a Motorcycle Ignition . Between that a service manual and a parts diagram, you should be able to piece this together.

It's obviously, too late here, but this is a great example of why you don't want to just go around cutting wires off. The last guy was fine like this, but now you're inheriting a bike that's been disfigured and having to figure this out.

Yeah trust me I am completely furious. I don’t use it for the track like he did and now after buying the bike and seeing what he actually did shows me he did it at the track without proper tools and now I will play hell getting the connector to put the standard key switch back in it smh

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yeah trust me I am completely furious. I don’t use it for the track like he did and now after buying the bike and seeing what he actually did shows me he did it at the track without proper tools and now I will play hell getting the connector to put the standard key switch back in it smh
I definitely can't blame you for that. Posts like this make me really appreciative of how good the previous owners were when they modded mine. The only really weird things have been the way they connected the end of wires and even that's pretty easy to fix as they don't appear to have cut the wires short.

If you're lucky, it'll be the leads, those can be purchased for not that much money and just attach between the relevant spots. You could probably also make them yourself if you can find the appropriate connectors for the ends.

If it's the wiring harness, that you'll likely want to hire somebody to repair. Much more expensive, but probably cheaper than replacing the harness completely. That would require a near complete disassembly of the bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts